*****HELP NEEDED URGENT******

Reedo

Hi guys help needed urgently here. 

I have replaced my lower arms on my gti, however one side of the car was perfect. no problems at all. the problem with the drivers side is that when i put the last bolt in its location (SEE PIC FOR THE BOLT LOCATION), it goes in and all the way up but when it is done up it just spins and spins when its dont up fully. The bolt thread has not been ruined at all. Any idea please or help would be appreciated

616440515.jpg

Pretty sure it's a captive nut in the body for that, so if it threads in but spins when trying to tighten it the captive nut is spinning. Not good. If you pull the bolt back out assuming it now undoes see if it has metal slivers on it, if so the nut has stripped, if not it is spinning.

You can force downward pressure on the captive nut to try and stop it spinning by levering between the subframe and body while tightening the bolt, (best done with an impact gun though as it is faster).

If that fails then you are looking at cutting an opening in the chassis rail and welding the captive nut back on, then welding up the opening after.

Edited by Sausage

that was my thought and a fear of mine :(  i have some body work to do so id probably look at getting it done then if its going to need cutting up and that! Cheers sausage!  

You wouldnt happen to have a ball joint for passenger side or know anyone who would have one? Doesnt have to be brand new just needs to be in reasonable condition! 

replacing the bj with a second hand is still the same labour as using a new one, do the job once, do it properly.

as for the nut, they are lovely persons for spinning.

2 hours ago, Rich said:

windy gun and force it in, usually works but getting it out is a sod.

if you have ti chop then turn it around and have a captive bolt Subaru style

With a captive bolt, and the thread sticking out, I don't think that sliding that part of the suspension arm into place would be possible. 

17 hours ago, Reedo said:

Cant get new ones anyone ive had one on order since October. If you can find me one id happily use it! Hahahah

Yeah im loving this nut atm its doing my head in ?? 

You can, I ordered one a month or so ago and went and picked it up the day after.

1 hour ago, Reedo said:

What vw store did you call? Whats the number? 

It's the one local to me in Bury. I was passing so just walked in and ordered it. The parts phone number is 0161 825 8007 from checking the website though.