Roof bars and carrying large things

I am hoping to use the Arosa to transport my stand-up paddle board to and fro the beach once the weather warms up. 

I used to have a VW transporter so it was easy. 

The only problem I see is that the board is 10ft 6 long and the Arosa is only 11ft something so there's gonna be a lot of overhang as the roof surface is so small. 

Has anyone tried this and arrived with the object still attached to the roof ?

No exerience on the Lupo with this sort of thing as I have other cars, but get the roof bars as far apart as possible and balance the weight as best you can, will probably need a bright coloured rag on the tail of the load if overhanging several feet.

When i got my Lupo I did intend for it to become my only car and thought about fitting roof rails (running the length of the roof) from a different vehicle as they give a better option for roof bars and are more secure, I looked for suitable ones but didnt get any further as they had to be cheap enough to sacrifice if it wasnt going to work as would probably need some cutting / welding and had to look as though they would look reasonably OEM when finished (i.e have the right shape etc).  it's probably easier to make some from scratch than try and graft others on tbh.

• 4 weeks later...

Not on my Lupo, but I used to cart around a 5.2m K1 Kayak on a 4m car no problems. Included lots of motorway driving too.

Make sure your bars are secure and tie it on right and you'll be fine.

Even now with my roofbox I usually stop after a shortish period to check straps and fittings.