Gates Cambelt Whine?

cj1

Hello. Have any of you experienced a whining noise that rises and falls with acceleration? It isn't there at idle. (Before we start going down the gearbox route - doesn't matter whether clutch in or clutch out - it isn't the gearbox). 

Noise is still present without the alternator belt on. I have been reading that gates kits are well known for being a bit on the noisy side? 

The tensioner was set correctly as per the alignment marks. Any input appreciated :) It isn't causing a problem, but would put be a bit more at ease knowing that others have had the same noise. 

Sorry... Should have added for those who don't follow the build: it's a 1.4 16v AFH.

This thread, along with many many others confirm I'm probably just over-thinking this: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=312026&page=3

Plus the car only does less than 500 miles a year, it's hardly been ran at all really since the rebuild! 

Tension would be on my list to check and probably loosen a tad (despite what the tensioner says). You may want to listen with a pipe or sethoscope to make sure it is belt as opposed to water pump etc though.

My Tdi makes a nice noise from the belts like a supercharger when revs rise which i actually really like, I'm guessing it is the ribbed belt but tbh havent made much effort to confirm although i have inspected the cambelt when i got the car and it it looked very good and tension seemed good (belt twist with fingies method). plus the noise seems to be bottom end rather than top of belts.

Edited by Sausage

1 hour ago, Sausage said:

Tension would be on my list to check and probably loosen a tad (despite what the tensioner says). You may want to listen with a pipe or sethoscope to make sure it is belt as opposed to water pump etc though.

My Tdi makes a nice noise from the belts like a supercharger when revs rise which i actually really like, I'm guessing it is the ribbed belt but tbh havent made much effort to confirm although i have inspected the cambelt when i got the car and it it looked very good and tension seemed good (belt twist with fingies method). plus the noise seems to be bottom end rather than top of belts.

Yes it sounds as though more bottom end, which initially made me think alternator as it was hard to judge. I'll try slackening it off slightly then. The noise is exactly like a supercharger, as you say! 

It gives me comfort knowing that it probably isn't anything to worry about as such. I doubt it would be the water pump or any of the pulleys as they were all new with the belt, and that has only done 150 miles or so since engine was built / put in. 

Will give the tensioner a go and see if it makes things any better.  Probably doesn't help that there's no sound deadening etc... making it all the more noticeable!