under engine plastic protective cover

Daniel84

On 18/01/2017 at 6:45 PM, mk2 said:

Yes. You must fit it because it stops mud and grit getting on the belt and into various mechanisms. 

Totally understand the point, but IIRC the 1.0 models and also the Mk1 Arosa's don't come with an undertray? Surely your statement would apply to those too given the aux belt is exposed in exactly the same way/place as the SDI, and yet there isn't one fitted, ergo begging the question how do they get away without it?

FWIW (And without meaning to be contrary about this) I've run my SDI sans undertray for over 10,000 miles now without issues. The one fitted was in tatters, and also removing it means a topside oil and filter job is a 10 minute reach under and twist off the fiter task, rather than a half hour's crawling around undoing undertray ballache.

I suppose I really consider it a 'nice to have' item rather than a 'must have'. For the lazy/nnchalant owners amongst us, no tray=win IMO.

Edited by JoeyEunos

There are many times i wish that damned tray wasnt there...

The pulley arrangement on the sdi is different to other lumps, which have the axis in a different position, allowing debris to miss that slot between the pulley and the belt. On another car i once had a tiny stone get between then and cause no end of grief. It also makes a big difference on the roads you drive on. Where we are the roads are bad, potholes, mud and all sorts of stuff. The wheel arches look like i've been offroading after just a few months of getting the car. I guess protection is worth having if there is a lot of road dirt, but not that big a deal if the roads are urban and cleaner. :)

19 hours ago, JoeyEunos said:

Totally understand the point, but IIRC the 1.0 models and also the Mk1 Arosa's don't come with an undertray? Surely your statement would apply to those too given the aux belt is exposed in exactly the same way/place as the SDI, and yet there isn't one fitted, ergo begging the question how do they get away without it?

FWIW (And without meaning to be contrary about this) I've run my SDI sans undertray for over 10,000 miles now without issues. The one fitted was in tatters, and also removing it means a topside oil and filter job is a 10 minute reach under and twist off the fiter task, rather than a half hour's crawling around undoing undertray ballache.

I suppose I really consider it a 'nice to have' item rather than a 'must have'. For the lazy/nnchalant owners amongst us, no tray=win IMO.

Can you actually do topside changes on an SDI :o

5 hours ago, Skezza said:

Can you actually do topside changes on an SDI :o

As in using a suction device (Pela 6000 in my case) to remove the old oil? Absolutely!

No jacking up or stands needed for the filter either, without the undertray it's simply a case of reaching under the front bumper, twisting it off and replacing with a new one.

1 hour ago, JoeyEunos said:

As in using a suction device (Pela 6000 in my case) to remove the old oil? Absolutely!

No jacking up or stands needed for the filter either, without the undertray it's simply a case of reaching under the front bumper, twisting it off and replacing with a new one.

I was never ever able to find it!!

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 10:07 PM, mk2 said:

There are many times i wish that damned tray wasnt there...

The pulley arrangement on the sdi is different to other lumps, which have the axis in a different position, allowing debris to miss that slot between the pulley and the belt. On another car i once had a tiny stone get between then and cause no end of grief. It also makes a big difference on the roads you drive on. Where we are the roads are bad, potholes, mud and all sorts of stuff. The wheel arches look like i've been offroading after just a few months of getting the car. I guess protection is worth having if there is a lot of road dirt, but not that big a deal if the roads are urban and cleaner. :)

Makes sense I suppose given the circumstances, our little 'oil burner' is mostly used on fairly major roads so not such an issue.

Edit to say, I've just realised you stated the time frame for the arches getting dirty as a couple of months, I wash the SDI down once a week and I'd imagine if Ileft it for 8 weeks it would get covered in salt etc :o TBH I'm inclined to fab myself an undertray to cover the belt but I'll be damned if I'm buying and re-fitting the original filter blocking plastic tray....

Maybe I'll run a batch of stainless steal items off purely for SDI owners. Might be worth gauging interest and making/funding a run of 4-5 to share between us?

11 hours ago, Skezza said:

I was never ever able to find it!!

I find that hard to believe coming from a Lupo tech of your calibre Skezza ;) IIRC I took tips from you on what oil was best etc when first sorting mine out....

FWIW thus far I've changed oil and filter twice and I'm yet to 'pull the plug'. TBH I can't really see any good reason to as the Pela seems to get 99.9% of the old stuff out.

Edited by JoeyEunos

11 hours ago, JoeyEunos said:

Maybe I'll run a batch of stainless steal items off purely for SDI owners. Might be worth gauging interest and making/funding a run of 4-5 to share between us?

I'm interested... post a drawing of what you're thinking of making :)

On 21/01/2017 at 1:34 AM, JoeyEunos said:

Makes sense I suppose given the circumstances, our little 'oil burner' is mostly used on fairly major roads so not such an issue.

Edit to say, I've just realised you stated the time frame for the arches getting dirty as a couple of months, I wash the SDI down once a week and I'd imagine if Ileft it for 8 weeks it would get covered in salt etc :o TBH I'm inclined to fab myself an undertray to cover the belt but I'll be damned if I'm buying and re-fitting the original filter blocking plastic tray....

I find that hard to believe coming from a Lupo tech of your calibre Skezza ;) IIRC I took tips from you on what oil was best etc when first sorting mine out....

FWIW thus far I've changed oil and filter twice and I'm yet to 'pull the plug'. TBH I can't really see any good reason to as the Pela seems to get 99.9% of the old stuff out.

I much prefer top side changes. Cleaner and suck more out than what drops. Can say that from experience. I still jacked the car up though. One side in the air.

Doris didn't have an undertray fitted when I acquired her... mind you it probably would have been shot if it had ben there! We've run her for 3.5 years and 36k miles without one, and no problems. Agree that it makes the 6 monthly oil changes alot less hassle!