noise after coilovers

imaparana

Hello,

I know its hard to try and picture a noise without hearing it but...

ive got ST coilovers fitted to my gti, and theres a weird 'squeaky wobble' noise now at crawling speed only, ive put the standard front shocks on and the noise goes.

ive then replaced all of the bushes to poly on the front and the noise is still there, took it to a garage and they are also stumped, last thing I can think if is its the actual coilovers themselves.....

has anyone else had a similar problem? I don't want to take the coilovers off again to sent them to ST for warranty and then find there fine.

Cheers

I had this problem whenever I first got my coilovers installed. It seemed to happen when I was reversing slowly and it sounded like 2 bits of metal scrapping together as the passenger side wheel was rotating. I used a bit of WD40 on the coilovers and after a while it stopped (although I'm not entirely sure this was the remedy for the issue). It could have been something catching against the coilover but to this day I still have no idea what it was but it sounded exactly as you described. Thankfully don't have the issue anymore.

Any update on it?

Edited by jamesdeane91

58 minutes ago, jamesdeane91 said:

I had this problem whenever I first got my coilovers installed. It seemed to happen when I was reversing slowly and it sounded like 2 bits of metal scrapping together as the passenger side wheel was rotating. I used a bit of WD40 on the coilovers and after a while it stopped (although I'm not entirely sure this was the remedy for the issue). It could have been something catching against the coilover but to this day I still have no idea what it was but it sounded exactly as you described. Thankfully don't have the issue anymore.

Any update on it?

cheers for the reply james,

ill give that a go tonight as im going to have a look, noise is still there though, and im not very lower either, maybe drop 20mm max atm.

3 hours ago, imaparana said:

cheers for the reply james,

ill give that a go tonight as im going to have a look, noise is still there though, and im not very lower either, maybe drop 20mm max atm.

I dropped mine nearly all the way on the front and that's where the noise seemed to be coming from, on the passenger side. I couldn't figure it out. Either WD40 worked or whatever was rubbing either doesn't rub anymore or has been shaved down.

My old KWs were fine and quite. Put new on last year and like you say; when reversing off the drive, or going slow there is a noise.

Only thing I can liken it to is driving over small stones on my driveway.

I had all new mounts and top bearings put on too.

44 minutes ago, Silver! said:

My old KWs were fine and quite. Put new on last year and like you say; when reversing off the drive, or going slow there is a noise.

Only thing I can liken it to is driving over small stones on my driveway.

I had all new mounts and top bearings put on too.

what make are your new ones?

Without sounding patronising it's not how theyve been fitted isit? Sounds stupid I know but when I fitted my coilovers I let the hub fall in as I was bolting it up and it gave the hub to much camber,  and the wheels I have are such a close offset that that 5-10mm you get for the camber means the tyre sits on the spring of the coilovers , it gave me a squeak and a juder from where the tyre was pushing on the coilovers, might be worth a go mate? I just loosened the bolts off and pulled on the back of the struts to pull the hub out then did it up again, worked for me maybe worth a go 

Hope this helps 

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 10:37 PM, Opul13 said:

Without sounding patronising it's not how theyve been fitted isit? Sounds stupid I know but when I fitted my coilovers I let the hub fall in as I was bolting it up and it gave the hub to much camber,  and the wheels I have are such a close offset that that 5-10mm you get for the camber means the tyre sits on the spring of the coilovers , it gave me a squeak and a juder from where the tyre was pushing on the coilovers, might be worth a go mate? I just loosened the bolts off and pulled on the back of the struts to pull the hub out then did it up again, worked for me maybe worth a go 

Hope this helps 

thanks for your input mate, pretty sure it isn't rubbing as no marks on tyres or coilovers, im just starting to think their noisy coilovers which im pretty bumed about, their still in warranty so if they start getting worse and stuff they'll be going back