Heating issue

Tomfinn94

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I'd say possibly your waterpump is failing.

What he said. Take the hoses off and flush the matrix, block and radiator until clear and look for debris, dont forget the antifreeze when you top it up again.

Assuming you just dont have an air lock in the system, then draining it into a pan or something and looking for bits of water pump impeller seems like a a reasonable idea (as you have limited water flow in your heater at normal revs). If the coolant isnt too rusty and looks fresh you can stick it back in again. Flushing and reverse flushing the system (matrix, block, rad) with a hose pipe until clear should show if you had a partial blockage of the matrix. You may as well take the thermostat out at the same time as said above. I dont know where it is on the 1.0 though.

probably your thermostat is messing you about, Car engines are not very efficent at heating water so poor in fact that you have to slow it down so the water can pick up heat so your heaters work and allowing the engine reach running temperatures, this is where the thermostat comes into play, stuck open and the engine runs cold and stuck closed the engine will run hot, its supposed to regulate the water flow some were inbetween but yours is a classic example of it getting stuck one way or the other

if your water pump was failing you would have more more issues I think, from my experience water pumps are more likely to leak before they fail, some cars the water pump is driven by the cam belt so not easy to remove and check

a blocked matrix will just effect the heater inside the car and has no effect on engine temperature as there is a bypass

thermostats are cheap you have nothing to lose replacing it as a new one never hurts, sorry not seen you engine so cant really point at when it is but a good rulle in look around where all the radiator hoses connect to the engine