Lupo GTI Ball Joint

As some of you may know, my GTI has been off the road for 3 months now as i'm waiting for a Left side balljoint. I ordered it on October 20th and still no sign of it. I have spoke to the highest person I could at VW and there is nothing anyone can do. Just wait. 

As you can imagine i'm getting rather annoyed now so I started to look into what might fit and I came across a thread. Someone said that a Lupo S right side ball joint fits the left side of a GTI. Could anyone confirm this?

Thanks

Why can't you get one off eBay or somewhere similar? I've just replaced the right hand side one on my GTI with a part from a local shop. 

Took them 2 days to order the part in. Or, are you only willing to replace it with a genuine VW part?

1 hour ago, micp said:

Why can't you get one off eBay or somewhere similar? I've just replaced the right hand side one on my GTI with a part from a local shop. 

Took them 2 days to order the part in. Or, are you only willing to replace it with a genuine VW part?

The only place you can get a GTI ball joint is main dealers. Every where else says they stock them, but you would recieve a standard Lupo ball joint which is shorter. 

Our locator system is showing one in stock at Lookers VW in Battersea (0207) 924 7744

I wouldn't get your hopes up too high mind as the locator system on Parts 500 is crap at best! But they are the only dealer in the UK showing a n/s Lupo GTI ball joint (6E0 407 365)

5 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

Our locator system is showing one in stock at Lookers VW in Battersea (0207) 924 7744

I wouldn't get your hopes up too high mind as the locator system on Parts 500 is crap at best! But they are the only dealer in the UK showing a n/s Lupo GTI ball joint (6E0 407 365)

I believe the n/s part number is ends with 366? 

Well that's a turn up for the books! Just double-checked this and you are correct sir! Usually on VW, the n/s ends with an odd number, though there are a few that don't! LOL!! My bad!

Don't know why you are still waiting for it though, VW are showing x1 in the main warehouse so it sounds like your supplier has forgotten to order it!

Edited by lupogtiboy

3 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

Well that's a turn up for the books! Just double-checked this and you are correct sir! Usually on VW, the n/s ends with an odd number, though there are a few that don't! LOL!! My bad!

Don't know why you are still waiting for it though, VW are showing x1 in the main warehouse so it sounds like your supplier has forgotten to order it!

Ah good you got me worried at first lol! 

It is definitely on order, my best mate is parts manager so i definitely trust him. But yeah very strange that i'm waiting for one! I have got a good second hand one coming to me now any how??

27 minutes ago, Skajme said:

Did you manage to sort this out? I ordered one yesterday and I've just picked it up now. Kinda confusing as to why it's taken so long for you!

IMG_20170119_104553_zpszqxcnyxt.jpg

I am still waiting, not sure how you have managed to get that! I have a second hand one coming today which is like new luckily!

On 14/01/2017 at 3:09 AM, CLAYTONJONES said:

The only place you can get a GTI ball joint is main dealers. Every where else says they stock them, but you would recieve a standard Lupo ball joint which is shorter. 

How much shorter? If thats the case I may have to remove mine and get a GTI one ordered!

I think I read somewhere that GTI's have 15mm more track than a standard Lupo, but don't quote me on that!

3 hours ago, CLAYTONJONES said:

Quite a bit, I can imagine you'd get quite a lot of toe and camber without a GTI one

1 hour ago, lupogtiboy said:

I think I read somewhere that GTI's have 15mm more track than a standard Lupo, but don't quote me on that!

Hah, I don't drive the lupo that much these days so I can't say I've noticed anything different but I'm definitely going to have to get it changed to an actual one from VW!

on the subject, are the wishbone arms any different on the GTIs? Or is it just the ball joints?

Edited by micp

1 hour ago, micp said:

Hah, I don't drive the lupo that much these days so I can't say I've noticed anything different but I'm definitely going to have to get it changed to an actual one from VW!

on the subject, are the wishbone arms any different on the GTIs? Or is it just the ball joints?

You should definitely be able to tell the difference! I'm 95% sure the wishbones are the same, just the balljoints are different.

35 minutes ago, CLAYTONJONES said:

You should definitely be able to tell the difference! I'm 95% sure the wishbones are the same, just the balljoints are different.

Just took it out. Thinking about it, it does feel a little narrow on that side and going full lock causes the wheel to run against the liner a little so I'm going to get it replaced. 

Might as well replace both sides too, now what's the waiting time for these? ?

13 minutes ago, micp said:

Just took it out. Thinking about it, it does feel a little narrow on that side and going full lock causes the wheel to run against the liner a little so I'm going to get it replaced. 

Might as well replace both sides too, now what's the waiting time for these? ?

Yeah that will most likely be why then. Well, i'm still waiting for mine from VW, its been 3 months now. But some others have got theres straight away?

3 hours ago, CLAYTONJONES said:

Yeah that will most likely be why then. Well, i'm still waiting for mine from VW, its been 3 months now. But some others have got theres straight away?

Haha it's a lottery then ? I'll give me local dealers a bell tomorrow. Failing that, I'll try Deutscheparts

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this. I may as well swap my ball joints, one seems to be knocking a bit. There seems to be loads of places to buy this part now, is this right. Or is it still the stealers only? Any particular decent make or place to get them?

No struggling by the looks of things. I reckon @LR5V got a tad hungry and nibbled at what took his fancy...

Makes me think how accurate they must make these... the three wishbone holes are normally pushed right back to end stop to get the wheel camber right. 1mm does make a difference, so the position of the three holes relative to the central spindle must be spot on every time so you don't need to check the camber.... same goes for wishbones i guess.

pathetically small they are indeed!

yeah the ball joint was completely wrecked, just got a couple of turns on the nut and it just started spinning and spinning.

the ball joint just was not coming out of the hub - cut off disc sorted it.

One thing I have noticed is Gti ones seem to have a lozenge hole behind the joint - hard to see on my old ones, but pictures of new ones above its clear as day:

IMG_20170119_104553_zpszqxcnyxt.jpg

Just checked my new ones, both the same - could that be the confirmation of Gti ball joints?