Gearchange diagnosis???

NornIron

Doris the trusty 1.7SDI is storming on, with 111k mileage now on the original engine / gearbox / clutch.

However whilst everything is normally spot on with the gearchange, occasionally they can be difficult between 2nd and 3rd, or 3rd and 4th... no noises, no grinding, clutch pedal fully depressed, but the gear lever feeling as if it just doesn't want to go into gear. With a slow gearchange and patience, it will change, but just isn't 100%. The clutch is still operating properly, with no slipping, hence I'm reluctant to replace it possibly unneccesarily.

I've searched the forum and read mention of selector rod bushes, without any great detail... has anyone experienced any similar issue and rectified it? If so, how? Have a pic of Doris for your trouble...

DSCF3321_zps10umfbsj.jpg

first thing to do is drain the gearbox oil and have a good look, its a good indicator on the condition of the box, any large bits is bad news

you maybe low on oil, only real way to tell is drain it and measure what you get out, your looking for 2.7 litres, when i did mine the levels were spot on unfortunaty you could hear the bits landing in the bucket, this turned out to be a really bad sign for me and a major gearbox rebuild

2 hours ago, Mobieus_uk said:

first thing to do is drain the gearbox oil and have a good look, its a good indicator on the condition of the box, any large bits is bad news

you maybe low on oil, only real way to tell is drain it and measure what you get out, your looking for 2.7 litres, when i did mine the levels were spot on unfortunaty you could hear the bits landing in the bucket, this turned out to be a really bad sign for me and a major gearbox rebuild

Gearbox oil is fine... I've changed it thrice since purchasing the car, last time was a fortnight ago when starting to experience this issue.

On 1/8/2017 at 9:12 PM, Rich said:

wahey- that's the wrong linkages.

sdi uses an 084/5 box.

Any helpful info on adjusting the linkages on the 085 box?

22 hours ago, NornIron said:

Any helpful info on adjusting the linkages on the 085 box?

if it all goes into gear ok with the engine off then your linkages should be ok, if you have trouble with the engine running but you find you can find the sweet spot on the rev range to shift gears then its most likely the synrcos in the gearbox are worn

First things first, sorry to hear you're having troubles with Dorris -_- Your build thread made for a great read and gave me some much needed inspiration when bringing my SDI up to scratch.

I've now covered just over 10k in mine bringing her up to 131k and despite a disconcertingly sloppy gearchange all seems well (I'm sure the gearbox drain and refill with VW's G50 oil has helped TBH)

If it were me in this situation my concerns in no particular order would be...

1. The clutch istelf (You've mentioned this so you've got that one covered)

2. Pedal box. From what I've read/heard, often rather than just failing without warning they tend to go through a period of the pedal getting lower and gears becoming progressively harder to select as the clutch engages less and less with time.

3. Cureveball suggestion, at one point I had the exact symptoms you describe only with a spongy pedal feel too with my Mazda and it turned out to be a clutch master and slave cylinder issue, I replaced both at the same time so couldn't tell you which was the culprit. Worth mentioning that in that instance the fluid level hadn't dropped significantly but the gulps of air being taken into the system were enough to sent things West.

Either way, fingers crossed this will be an easy fix without to much grief.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JoeyEunos said:

3. Cureveball suggestion, at one point I had the exact symptoms you describe only with a spongy pedal feel too with my Mazda and it turned out to be a clutch master and slave cylinder issue, I replaced both at the same time so couldn't tell you which was the culprit. Worth mentioning that in that instance the fluid level hadn't dropped significantly but the gulps of air being taken into the system were enough to sent things West.

Either way, fingers crossed this will be an easy fix without to much grief.

085 box uses cable or rod change. Not hydraulic.

Wondering if adjusting the clutch cable and adding a bit more tension could help at all. And take a read of this for pedal box:

Edited by cj1

On 11 January 2017 at 6:17 PM, Mobieus_uk said:

jack car up so both front wheels are off ground, start engine and stick in gear so wheels are turning then depress clutch, wheels should stop if they don't then the clutch maybe dragging which could be affecting your gearchanges

Yeah, i'll second that. You can also tell how worn your box is doing this by leaving it in neutral. If the wheels spin slowly, your clearances are nice and tight and are still dragging a bit (through the oil). If no spin, more clearance equals less drag.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Guys, thanks  for all your suggestions... replacing the nylon ball joint on the gearlever has cured the issue. Onwards for another 112,000 miles :)

Just re-read this thread and having been going through a friend's gearbox workshop, i now think that besides that bush/ball thing needing replacement, it's also a sign that the cones on the synchro sleeves (the clutch bit) are starting to wear...