Open plug in engine

Hi,

just have been changing my spark plugs and air filters. Noticed there is a open plug type hole with a cap attached but not in the hole. This is on the right hand side of the engine cover quite low down. I'm not 100% on what it is and if it's suppose to be open or closed? 

~zap

Yep, that's exactly what I thought you meant. It's an access hole to get to the flywheel etc through the gearbox casing. Best to keep it closed to keep rain etc out. Although on mine sometimes it pops up and doesn't stay down! 

Edit: Quite interestingly I remember seeing somewhere that someone mistook it for the gearbox fill hole lol! 

Edited by cj1

1 minute ago, cj1 said:

Yep, that's exactly what I thought you meant. It's an access hole to get to the flywheel etc through the gearbox casing. Best to keep it closed to keep rain etc out. Although on mine sometimes it pops up and doesn't stay down! 

Absolute top man! If i remember i did close it before but its popped back open which made me think its suppose to be open.

18 hours ago, cj1 said:

Someone mistook it for the gearbox fill hole

OMG. That would cause no end of clutch problems. Imagine all the friction surfaces coated with EP90. They'd have had to remove the box just to fix it.....