Crunchy brakes?

So I've noticed every now and again my brakes are going crunchy. Best way I can describe it. Like exactly how when it's icy and you brake and it does that crunchy feeling. 

Does anyone know what I can do to fix it? Because it's pretty scary. Especially when I brake and it just crunches. 

Im driving so so slow now because I darent do more than 30 lol. 

The abs light comes off and on, I think I mentioned this in an earlier post. But yes like you can feel it in your foot too. 

How much will a scan cost roughly? 

Omg .. Rich please help me to fix it for free haha

It just cut out?!

Sounds like you have the upmarket abs system. I have friction pads, some fluid and pipes. That's it in poverty spec SDI... Worst case I chuck the anchor out the window.

5 hours ago, Rich said:

describe what it did.

Ok so I was slowing down coming to a junction, doing about 15mph, then the brakes went hard and the steering went off. I didnt know what had happened and then noticed the battery light like as if when you stall it, so i turned it off and on again, big cloud of white smoke out the back then it did it again about 2-3 minutes later... I like the idea you had before, I think that would be the best option, but I need it to be red lol. 

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

It just cut out?!

Sounds like you have the upmarket abs system. I have friction pads, some fluid and pipes. That's it in poverty spec SDI... Worst case I chuck the anchor out the window.

I wish I had an anchor :/

It's a good job I wasn't going fast round a corner I would have seriously died. I NEED power steering, My arms aren't strong. ha

1 hour ago, Pete said:

And I doubt the abs/brakes issue has anything to do with the engine cutting out.

Yeah I didn't think they were related, could it maybe be the battery or a spark plug or something? (Yes, I am unaware of what a spark plug is for, it's just fun to say)

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

Has anyone figured out why her car uses so much oil? Have I missed a post on the subject...?

The VW Queen Rich said it could be the rings, I am taking him up on the whole, 'Sell it.' idea. 

I am so sad. 

This is a sad day.

I may make a JustGiving page to help my lupo live. 

:(

2 hours ago, Pete said:

And I doubt the abs/brakes issue has anything to do with the engine cutting out.

I once came across a very unusual situation where a leaky brake servo leaked brake fluid down the vacuum pipe... Brakes behaved weird, smoke and engine cut out! But from what I've been reading, I think it's more likely to be engine oil.

20 minutes ago, mk2 said:

If its the rings, I wonder how much the engine blows back. If the crankcase breather were disconnected, it might reduce the oil burning...?

Now you are speaking greek to me :/ haha there's a lot of smoke if thats what you mean? 

5 minutes ago, mk2 said:

I once came across a very unusual situation where a leaky brake servo leaked brake fluid down the vacuum pipe... Brakes behaved weird, smoke and engine cut out! But from what I've been reading, I think it's more likely to be engine oil.

Ive used 15/40 is that the right oil to use?

Do you know if the car had been left unused for a long time? If yes, then it may be nothing more than stuck rings... Add 1:50 diesel to your petrol. And remove each spark plug and add about a tablespoon or two of diesel to each cylinder and allow to soak for at least 48h. Might cure it. Old trick!

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

so did the steering go and the brakes when the engine died?

Yeah it went all stiff. Danno has just done a scan thingy and it said something about the front drivers side ABS sensor? Could that be the cause? Or is that something different entirely?