can anyone ID this radio?

mk2

That's the radio out of the Jetta City model from 2007 I think.Ā 

Didn't realize how nice they looked up close.

Feel free to give it a go but..... CANBUS.

I'll leave it at that.

Canbus only affects backlighting and the speed controlled volume adjuster function doesn't it? Never tried running a can bus radio in a k bus car.... Maybe there are emulators if it just won't work without it????

39 minutes ago, Silver! said:

59 minute timer; no CANBUS signal; power off. ApparentlyĀ :huh:

That said..... I could offer some amazing insight into this. You need an ACK correction. That will stop it turning off after 59 minutes.

If only someone knew how. Oh wait. I do :)Ā next how to?

8 hours ago, mscherryviolet said:

Skezza do you still have some cup holders? Sorry to be off topic but my life is crumbling away. ?

I do but I'd need to find them.Ā 

If i connected up the can bus signals to an emulator, that'd probably work. I could program up a microcontroller chip, but that'd take time. Ah, it could also chuck out the GALA signal values, but digitised.

From reading stuff online, i think that radio is US market only...

I don't think that radio will be CANBUS as it fits from a 2003 onwards model, so MK4 Golf era which use the same radios as Lupos (pretty much!)

Nope, the ETKA description is ' Car radio with MP3 player ', I think it was for the Canadian market cars.

Its been obsolete since 2009 though

51 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Thanks. You've confirmed my thoughts. I can start looking for a different vw branded radio now...! No chance of getting one of them in the UK then.Ā  :(

a. Think outside the box.

b. Global marketplace.

A. AgreedĀ  :)

B. Yeah but int'l shipping, even with a dodgy CN22 declaration would make it very pricey.

I like VW systems because the equaliser profiles are designed to match the interior of a golf, so that the sound is usually better suited to a vdub car. I've tried better systems like Kenwood, but they just don't 'sound' as good. In my first lupo I have a MCD100 which I picked up for a tenner, but had to repair it. That works just great, and sounds awesome with the OEM speakers. Now if someone had another for sale cheap.....?!