Just brought my 2nd Tdi

wehey

I saw this in the local adds up for sale for £300. 120k and cambelt done recently.

i asked a load of questions then it all went quite....

i got a message today saying that he wants it gone this weekend as he has a new car now and offered it to me for £150.

So now I have 2 lol

i am a very happy bunny

IMG_3591.PNG

IMG_3593.PNG

• Like 3

It is too good to say no.

Basically he got a quote from webuyanycar.thieves.com for £150 but wanted it to go to a good home.

My current Tdi has a crunchy 2-3rd syncro so the plan is to swap all of the best bits onto the silver car and keep the black car as spares or a cheap 2nd runaround for the Mrs. The only bad parts that I can see are some rust on the front wheel arches.

heres my Black tdi

IMG_3540.JPG

Edited by wehey

So the car is here on my driveway now and after a good nose around I recon I have found a goodun!

Have been for a drive and I have to say that it drives beautifully. The engine is much quieter than mine and the gearbox is soooooo sweet. Thats been my main bug bear with the black one and I could  have set it on fire on occasions.

The only thing it needs is two front wings and a drivers electric window switch.

Looking thro the service book it has had a full service history upto 115k (currently on 126) with cambelt done at 110k.

The plan for now is to give her a full service, swap all the best bits over, load up my 100hp map and go drive her

nose to nose....

IMG_3594.JPG

Edited by wehey
  • Like 1

That doesnt need new wings just some aggressive anti rust treatment with a rotary wire brush and some anti rust undercoat, body filler, elbow grease to get it matched in and touch up the paint. An excellent bargain though.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jonny s said:

Black arosas look nice!

Done well there mate..... look after it, it will last an age

Yeah i do prefer the black one and for some reason it seems more "posh" inside despite being identical (apart from the colour scheme)

if i had the time and patience I would swap the engine and box or maybe just the box into the black one. It's just such a sucky job tho

Edited by wehey

They look kinda aggressive to me. Squaring up for a fight.

So far she has had a service: oil, filter and diesel filter (air filter was practically brand new)  and I have gone over the rear axle with a wire brush as it was well crusty. Shall waxoil it tomorrow ?

Still quite a bit bit on the "to do" list

Gearbox oil
De rust Wings
Replace window switch 
Underseal rear axle
Under seal front subframe
Under seal sill seams
Adjust handbrake
Tyre sealer
Decat 
Swap suspension over from black car
New front suspension arms
New front discs and pads
Diesel purge
Upload 100hp map ?

Edited by wehey

Rather than starting a new thread..........

I have been pricing up new brake pads and discs. The price difference between the budget and the premium "brembo" brands is a fair bit.

i have only ever put the cheapest bits onto previous cars. Is it worth spending out on the premium parts, will I notice a difference?

IMG_1657.PNG

IMG_1658.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

A few more bits done recently.....

So I have ordered a decat pipe which should be here in the next few days.

Had a quick go at cracking the nuts that connect the down pipe to the turbo but they ain't budging.

I don't want to risk snapping them off so it will have to be a garage jobbie. I frigging hate admitting defeat and using garages. It will be the first time in 10 years.......grrrrrrrrrr.

Started removing the drivers side wing today and both bolts holding wing to the sill were siezed in place. Had to dremmel grooves into the bolt heads and whack em round with a hammer. Got there in the end.

Photos to follow tomorrow when it's finally back on all 4 wheels ??

Heat and penetrating oil will help, so either a careful use of a blow torch or go for a drive and get it hot, this makes removing it more difficult from an access point of view but hopefully the nuts will crack off easier. The nuts usually round off so you need a good fitting hex socket as opposed to multipoint, but if you are feeling the stud ready to snap off then it will be manifold off job and a welder most likely.

16 hours ago, Sausage said:

Heat and penetrating oil will help, so either a careful use of a blow torch or go for a drive and get it hot, this makes removing it more difficult from an access point of view but hopefully the nuts will crack off easier. The nuts usually round off so you need a good fitting hex socket as opposed to multipoint, but if you are feeling the stud ready to snap off then it will be manifold off job and a welder most likely.

I think I will leave it to the garage. I know a good guy who's local who has all the right gear to tackle it.

So I fitted the drivers side wing this morning. It's a bit scratched but hopefully a bit of T cut will sort that out.

Top tip of the day.........

If you do not have a garden and can't afford and allotment, you can always grow veggies behind the wing on an Arosa.

The is a small gap in the wheel arch liner which crud flicks throught and after 15 years you get this....

IMG_3648.JPG

IMG_3649.JPG

So this I should how she looks today....

Im unsure about fitting the lowering springs.......I quite like the softer stock suspension and it's sooooo much easier jacking it up. Plus I won't have to bugger about trying to set the camber up again.

IMG_3650.JPG

IMG_3651.JPG