Retrimming Headliner & Pillars?

Ok so I have been reading loads of things regarding retrimming headliners, the majority of which say to remove the headliner material, but is there anyway I can just use some spray on adhesive and attach the new fabric over the old one? I don't really want to go to all the bother of removing the original headliner fabric, which is in perfectly good nick, I just want to personalise it a little and freshen it up ^_^ I'm going to be using thin dressmaking fabric if this is possible? 

10 hours ago, mscherryviolet said:

Ok so I have been reading loads of things regarding retrimming headliners, the majority of which say to remove the headliner material, but is there anyway I can just use some spray on adhesive and attach the new fabric over the old one? I don't really want to go to all the bother of removing the original headliner fabric

I'd imagine you don't have to remove the old fabric and you probably could just spray contact adhesive and stick new material over it like it's some kind of interiior sticker book, but like everything in life you get out what your prepared to put in. Cutting corners (No pun intended) will probably translate to poor final results ;)

5 hours ago, JoeyEunos said:

I'd imagine you don't have to remove the old fabric and you probably could just spray contact adhesive and stick new material over it like it's some kind of interiior sticker book, but like everything in life you get out what your prepared to put in. Cutting corners (No pun intended) will probably translate to poor final results ;)

Hmm I see what you mean, and I'd rather it looked perfect. I was just somehow hoping I wouldn't have to remove it ha. So in that case would I need headliner material? Not just simple dressmaking fabric? Because I believe headliner material is a bit spongy and alot thicker right? :) 

• 1 month later...

You cant remove the OE material as i have tried, you will ruin the headlining and make a mess. I put up this fairly comprehensive guide a while back which might help.

I also happen to have this headlining up for sale if you don't want the hassle of DIY-ing it  :thumbsup:

• Like 2