Tuning a tdi beyond 100hp

wehey

I have been considering selling the Arosa for a while for another bigger tuneable tdi. 

But today I filled up with diesel and found that I have achieved 64mpg and am averaging 60mpg. Adding in the £30 road tax I really believe the Arosa/Lupo tdi are one of the best bang for your buck cars out there. 

I currently have a 100hp map on the car and just love the way it drives and handles but as with any petrol head, I would love a bit more!

If I were to shoot for a 120hp what would be the best route to get there?

rebuild your turbo with better bearings etc so it can take more boost and / or turn it into a hybrid. increase the boost and fuelling in the maps would be cheapest method.

If your turbo is good you can up the boost a bit and add some fuelling and probably get to around 120 or so on the standard engine, but the injection period will be long and egt will build, so make sure your exhaust is free flowing and large bore.

After that you need a bigger turbo an injectors really and it starts to cost.

if you want to mess about with the maps then I can post screen shots of your map and mine and you can change them in yours at your own risk. 

Thanks sausage, if you could post them up I wouldn't mind giving it a try (I understand the risks)

Even a few more free horses would be a bonus.

what software are you using for the map tweaks?

Also I have just spotted another Tdi for sale in the local adds. 125K and only £300. I'm hoping to get a look at it soon as it could be a good donor or even a test bed for future tweaks ??

Here's an old pic showing mine, bought one of those bolt on nipples, ran the silicon in thru the spare bulkhead grommet above the pedals and fed it over to the drivers side air vent area.

There was a pin hole there in that pipe already for some reason covered in tape, so i just enlarged it for the nipple.

DSCN4739.jpg

Edited by Sausage
  • Like 1

Thanks sausage (again)

on a different note, I need to decat the exhaust next.

I just don't have the funds at the moment to buy a proper decat pipe as I'm having to support the Mrs who is off work on long term sick.

Could I get away with taking the downpipe/cat section off the car and just whacking a bit of pipe up thro the cat to knock its guts out?

Edited by wehey

Absolutely, but probably difficult on the longish (and blind) pipe on the lupo tdi to get it out, maybe a long large drill bit? if you bevel the edge of the pipe you want to wack up it to give a sharp edge that might help to core it out. But you dont want bits left in there that could later block your exhaust.

If you have a welder and angle grinder etc might be easier to open the can up and gut it then weld it back up, but if you are going to do that you may as well just make the decat pipe and weld that in.

On 28/11/2016 at 3:57 PM, wehey said:

Thanks sausage (again)

on a different note, I need to decat the exhaust next.

I just don't have the funds at the moment to buy a proper decat pipe as I'm having to support the Mrs who is off work on long term sick.

Could I get away with taking the downpipe/cat section off the car and just whacking a bit of pipe up thro the cat to knock its guts out?

Well that plan landed on its arse.

The downpipe to turbo bolts just ain't coming undone. I have pulled on them as hard as I dare and fear they will either sheer or round off.

One of them has sheared off already (by a previous owner, not me) so I am already down to 3.

I guess it's a bit risky to run your map sausage without the decat?? What do you recon?

Edited by wehey

• 1 month later...

Noice! That a gutted stainless one?

I think my map will be fine on yours but i am no expert in these things as it's all pretty new to me too so is done at your own risk.

My loop is off the road as insurance is out and SORNed it, I'm trying to get my garage into some sort of order to get it in there for some tinkerings and back on the road again march / april time. Will be playing with the maps then.

It's a dummy cat in stainless. 

I was going to knock the guts out of the old one but it was well rusty and on its last legs. 

I haven't tried your map yet mate but I have had someone retune the Blacksmoke one for me ?

Its a massive improvement on the Blacksmoke map and will be even better after the decat is installed.