Lupo GTI > What next?

indie

Hello all,

Having a hard time finding a replacement for my Lupo GTI.

Don't get me wrong I love it to bits. One thing that surprises me are the number of compliments you get about its rarity. People also seem to be taken back by the amount of poke it has... Couple that with good economy (ish) and I'm loath to get rid.

OTOH I fancy something a little bit more grown up (I'm 32 and all) - I know ancient, right! Also, since I don't need to drive to work, the car is effectively for shopping and messing about at the weekend.

So, maybe a bit of a marmite replacement, but I kept thinking about a silver TT 225.

I'm just having a hard time making the decision.

Overall I don't really want more than the value of the Lupo in a car, so something in the 2-3.5k price point is my aim. Its not really enough for a MK5 Golf GTI, but a TT 225 or an R53 Mini Cooper S seem like good options.

Not a fan of Seat or Skoda's. No offence, they're just not for me.

Any thoughts?

Edited by indie

At the risk of @Rich coming round to my house and punching me in the face (Sorry mate!) TT's are pants -_-

As Clarkson and co pointed out they're basically an exercise in coupling sporty looking bodywork to a Golf/Beatle type chassis. To quote directly I think they said " If you put a cow in a tracksuit does it then make it a sports cow?"

If possible try a proper RWD sports car with double wishbone set up and 50/50 weight distribution ;) Look to early MX5's or Eunos's, MR2's are fun too, or if budget will stretch an S2000.

HTH.

Edited by JoeyEunos

On 11/20/2016 at 11:04 PM, Rich said:

The TT is awesome, FWD, IRS, 60mpg and it is a toasty place to munch miles over the winter.

having owned an ST170 and driven a Civic typeR I'd agree with the above sentiment, IRS transforms they way a good fwd car performs, there's negligible benefit in a modern rwd car

If it's just for fun, get a car that you can buy at price 'x', use for a few years with just fuel and maintenance then sell again at price 'x' or even make money. Maclaren, Lambo, Bugatti.... But realistically, get a hot classic and really enjoy it. Classics make much more of a statement, and generally command respect on the road (if they're looked after). And they're rare too. And an investment. A bit like the Lupo Gti...

Personally you can't beat a mk2 golf rally. Or a mk2 golf with 4WD and a 3.6FSI lump in...  :)