What is this noise?

SithLupo

I just changed the engine on my VW Lupo 1.0 E for a 40k engine and it sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INvsmf8tRR0&feature=youtu.be

Is that the sound of broken lifters or what? I thought that changing the engine would solve my problems..but I'm afraid I might be in for another nightmare :unsure: It's got a new cam belt, and new 5w30 longlife oil.

Any help always much appreciated!

Edited by SithLupo

This is like one of those quizzes. Oooh. Fun!

Me thinks its the tappets. Common on vdub engines that haven't been run for a while, as there's not enough oil under the lifters yet to take out the running clearance. Can often happen on older engines first thing in the morning for a few seconds. The other noise is cam belt hum. Too tight....

you post suggests you had the problem with the old engine, is it the same head transferred over in which case if the problem has followed you to the new engine it can only likely be the bits you transferred over, if not then unlucky if the new engine has the same problems as the old

Thanks everyone for your responses.

13 hours ago, mk2 said:

This is like one of those quizzes. Oooh. Fun!

Me thinks its the tappets. Common on vdub engines that haven't been run for a while, as there's not enough oil under the lifters yet to take out the running clearance. Can often happen on older engines first thing in the morning for a few seconds. The other noise is cam belt hum. Too tight....

mk2, I think it's the tappets too but I am also going to check the manifold for extra vibrations. I believe the engine had been in storage for a year..Although I've already driven it for 50miles and thought that the good quality oil would help..

Maybe it's too thin for this engine but I don't see how that should be a problem as long as it reaches the lifters and lubricates them..and I have not seen the oil pressure light coming on.

I think the noise is not loud for 20-30 seconds after a cold start, and then it starts to rattle more audibly. I am going to double check that today.

20 hours ago, Sausage said:

Saw that. Cheers mate!

It could be a sticky valve if the engine was sitting for a while. Rust can build up on the stem of a valve and slow down the movement (friction). Does the exhaust 'puff' occasionally? WD40 on all the valve stems, now that you've put it all back together again! Have you had the engine right up to running nice and hot yet? The heat can help clear things up. I don't think its the bottom end- sure its the head.

I have a very noisy SDI engine... I'm going to tweak the injection timing this weekend. Always quietens down a noisy diesel! Sounds like a rattly bag of bolts at the moment. Although,might be leaky injectors causing preignition. Skezza- thoughts?

To the OP, I used to run a Mk4 Golf 1.4 16V that suffered from this really badly, at one stage the clanking from the top end was so bad it would cause pedestrians to turn around and look as I went past -_-

Despite many oil changes with proper spec oil I couldn't stop it. In the end a combination of putting in Wynn's Hydraulic lifter fluid and running for 500 miles or so, then dropping the oil and filling with Castrol Magnatec C3 5w30 (Renowned for helping with noisy tappets) proved to be the solution and resolved the problem permanently.

I was skeptical about the Wynn's treatment at first and used as a 'last chance saloon' measure really, I was truly shocked at how well it worked! Literally 40 miles after dropping it in, silence... I firmly believe the Castrol Magnatec had a hand in it too and I ran that oil for the ramaining time I had the car (2 years) without the issue returning.

14 hours ago, mk2 said:

I wonder what's in Wynn's fluid that has that effect...? Interesting. Usually it's all about viscosity and temperature.

Gawd knows <_< I had a real downer on it TBH and assumed it would be snake oil for sure, I was simply amazed at how well it worked. It was the stuff in the tin FWIW...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WYNNS-HYDRAULIC-VALVE-LIFTER-CONCENTRATE-325MM-VALVE-TRAIN-NOISE-76844/331971209346?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D39828%26meid%3Df19e24fe133e4c289a6d712d77c1092b%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D321039185453

The bumf...

"Releases sticking valve stems and hydraulic valve lifter components.
    Quietens valve train noise.
    Dissolves dirt, gum and varnish deposits in the oil channels.
    Contains EP agents for extra protection."

On 04/11/2016 at 8:00 PM, mk2 said:

It could be a sticky valve if the engine was sitting for a while. Rust can build up on the stem of a valve and slow down the movement (friction). Does the exhaust 'puff' occasionally? WD40 on all the valve stems, now that you've put it all back together again! Have you had the engine right up to running nice and hot yet? The heat can help clear things up. I don't think its the bottom end- sure its the head.

I have a very noisy SDI engine... I'm going to tweak the injection timing this weekend. Always quietens down a noisy diesel! Sounds like a rattly bag of bolts at the moment. Although,might be leaky injectors causing preignition. Skezza- thoughts?

SDI's do tend to make a lot of noise to be fair :P 

To check the status of the injectors with VagCom / VCDS you can read the compensation of injectors in Engine / Measuring Blocks / 013 group.

Try to mix some two stroke semisynthetic oil in diesel fuel (100ml 2T oil/20l fuel) and use fuel with 55 cetane number.  After that tell us how your engine sounds:D. I use 2t for more than 4 years (approx 43k miles, EGR OFF) in combination with Power Service additive (occasionally) and engine sounds like new, and the compensation injectors are almost 0

If  you have EGR OFF, this may be a cause for a noisier engine.

I know you can run a diesel on kerosene or jet A fuel by mixing it with synth 2 stroke oil, because there isn't much lube properties in kero/heating oil. Never thought to add it to straight diesel. I'll give it a try.

I did pull a couple of degrees of injection timing and now it runs way quieter. Like tuning a traditional tractor! I noticed that when you remove the egr system, it's a bit more knocky... Too much air at low revs my guess. But that said, my other SDI just purrs. Same gas flowing mods on both cars.

Can the ECU compensate for dodgy timing on the SDI engine? I thought the timing is fixed mechanically by the pump position? The injector sensor is just there as a monitor I thought... Same as old school diesels.

On 06/11/2016 at 4:02 PM, JoeyEunos said:

To the OP, I used to run a Mk4 Golf 1.4 16V that suffered from this really badly, at one stage the clanking from the top end was so bad it would cause pedestrians to turn around and look as I went past -_-

Despite many oil changes with proper spec oil I couldn't stop it. In the end a combination of putting in Wynn's Hydraulic lifter fluid and running for 500 miles or so, then dropping the oil and filling with Castrol Magnatec C3 5w30 (Renowned for helping with noisy tappets) proved to be the solution and resolved the problem permanently.

I was skeptical about the Wynn's treatment at first and used as a 'last chance saloon' measure really, I was truly shocked at how well it worked! Literally 40 miles after dropping it in, silence... I firmly believe the Castrol Magnatec had a hand in it too and I ran that oil for the ramaining time I had the car (2 years) without the issue returning.

Yeah, I added some Wynns. I am waiting to do some more miles and then I'll do a flush with Forte and add Magnatec or the 5w40 Quantum Platinum. I think part of the issue is the fact that the 5w30 Quantum Longlife is not really for the VW 502.00 spec (only 504.00 and 507.00). I bought it from a VW dealership as they told me it was the correct oil..but then learned a bit more about kinematic viscosity and it seems to be a bit low for a 1.0 Lupo. I'll do a flush for good measure and also because the engine had old oil in it for a year without moving (even if it was stored indoors in a dry place). Fingers crossed that the noise gets better when I do that. I'll post another video of the "after"

Edited by SithLupo