1.4 TDI 150BHP?

Moly220

Hi guys at the moment I've got a remapped 101hp arosa pushing 180k and runs amazing! Well maintained engine so I think this thing will run till 300k hopefully but I was thinking of taking this up to 150bhp with a hybrid turbocharger and pd150 injectors new map and intercooler kit added in..

All priced up but I'm not too sure what it will do to the engine life...

Anyone had any past issues if they have taken there Tdi this high? 

Help need advice because I love this car but I want to make her into a slight sleeper! 

Thanks guys

DSC_0353.JPG

Hi I cant help with advice but I'd like to get my Lupo Tdi upto about 100hp i recon it would be well fun did it take many supporting mods or was just a remap? seems like quite a gain over 75rated hp ? I notice your not too far from me whee did you get your map done? 

The issue is the strength of the gearbox, as 150bhp will increase the torque it will put extra strain on the box especially in the key overtaking ratios 3rd and 4th gear which are prone develop synchro problems in standard form. I'm not saying don't do it the tdi is a fabulous little engine just put money aside every week for the rebuild. I'd move the battery to the boot, the tdi's frontal weight makes it understeer any help you can give it will mitigate against this, enjoy:)

• Like 1

I have the kit to do this (turbos, injectors etc) and will get around to it at some point but life has gotten in the way since the summer, plus my lupo at approx 110bhp goes so damn well it will be a shame to blow it up :lol: excuses excuses..... 

Have a look here for inspiration: 

I'm going the gt1549 route 1st as it's cheap but probably laggy before going the preferred vnt route mainly for educational purposes. Whatever you do will need a remap on a rolling road or DIY it with a laptop and some software if you understand what you are trying to do and can interpret the results you are getting.

From what i have read crank whip and block flex come into play at higher figures, but that may be 3L tuning which have different block but is something to consider, i'd also inspect carefully and / or renew balance shaft chain drive and oil pump (and cambelt etc while you are at it) before going for this sort of output as a precaution.

I wouldnt bother with the intercooler, it's good for way more than the lupo can deliver, invest in smoothing the airflow to and from it and a large bore free flowing exhaust instead. A larger intercooler adds lag too.

It would be prudent to assume that by stressing it more you shorten it's life, simples. 

Edited by Sausage
added somink
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, D_A_N said:

Hi I cant help with advice but I'd like to get my Lupo Tdi upto about 100hp i recon it would be well fun did it take many supporting mods or was just a remap? seems like quite a gain over 75rated hp ? I notice your not too far from me whee did you get your map done? 

The tdi is great fun with 100hp. 

I did mine myself with an eBay lead and a map file from blacksmoke.co.uk. Total cost around £60 ?

• Like 2

Spoken to derv tech and darkside.. 

This idea of mine will cost around 1500! Darkside recommended into looking at 1.9Tdi with pd130 or 150... This will save the poor gear Box and clutch getting hammered... Because I do love this little engine goes like stink 

Anyone know of 1.9Tdi conversion? 

9 hours ago, D_A_N said:

Hiya Dan! I went to a local place who does maps but they buy them off bhp.uk which are in Manchester I think 

9 hours ago, D_A_N said:

1 hour ago, Moly220 said:

Spoken to derv tech and darkside.. 

This idea of mine will cost around 1500! Darkside recommended into looking at 1.9Tdi with pd130 or 150... This will save the poor gear Box and clutch getting hammered... Because I do love this little engine goes like stink 

Anyone know of 1.9Tdi conversion? 

the 3 cylinder motor is very heavy the 4 cylinder 1.9 would make the car horrible to drive in any direction apart from a straight line

5 hours ago, 666DUB said:

Sausage, how have you got 110 bhp ? Just a map ?

Mine was already mapped to 105 BHP with RR print out to prove it when i bought it and I have since tweaked the map a bit more and fitted a K&N filter so i'm guessing at the extra 5 hp. Mine was occasionally going into limp mode usually while going up a hill in 4th because the SVBL was too low for the map, I upped it by 150 and no more limp mode and boost holds longer and higher by .2 bar. 

Thanks for the reply Sausage, i had mine re-mapped at Awesome in Manchester so l am presuming about 100 bhp, i have since fitted an Allard EGR delete kit does that give any more bhp, also.you reckon a K&N filter would give me a tad more bhp.

Most remaps will delete the egr in the map by changing when it operates, i.e never, so no need to blank anything off.

Get an mpps clone lead, download your map from your ecu following the relevant precautions, then download vagsuite or edcsuite from :http://www.vperformance.co.uk/how-to-remap-diy/vagsuite-download-free/ and open your map file and have a look about in there. Go find a standard tdi file for comparison.

Example nicked from interwebs: 

ReR2UWq.png

The K&N likely adds very minimally in terms of power at 100bhp but I would hope it gives headroom for future upgrades, the reason is that the standard air filter is large enough to cope with the extra demand at that level. Also any extra air going in the engine needs extra fuel to make power so unless you have unburnt fuel (black smoke) already to take advantage of you need to increase the fuelling as well to make power. 

Edited by Sausage
added somink

EGR delete is a good way of starting with remapping, as you can't really damage anything by getting it wrong.

How much torque are you running Mr Sausage? TDIs are all about the torque.

I've got a 1749 to go on at some point, but mapping the ARL injectors is something I'm still getting my head around. The clutch and gearbox are going to be the limiting factor, but it may be a case of limiting torque in the midrange, then letting it hold to make power higher up.

Right guys after weighting up alot of options I think I'll start a progression topic for this build.. Gunna go for the 150 mark with my little 1.4Tdi least it can still handle just aswell and Potter about then also hammer down when we need to!.. But I think first I'll get a new clutch and gearbox around December the the new turbo ect around January if I mange to save enough

Do you guys think it's worth getting a egr valve blanked 

Also what's everyone's opinion on blow off valves... I love the sound but heard mix opinions about them 

EGR delete will be in the map, no need to blank anything. Dump valves do nothing on a diesel apart from make the engine fart like a bus and waste boost. Fit a boost gauge capable of more than 2 bar and also look into fitting and remapping for a 3 bar map sensor. Edit: and get a 2.5" or 3" exhaust made up too.

@ Derv, Mine was mapped very conservative on the torque side probably to preserve gearbox etc @ 187 ib ft. I doubt it has shifted far from that.

Edited by Sausage
  • Like 1

I deleted my EGR mainly to save weight and to free up space.

I was thinking 250Nm would be a reasonable limit for the gearbox, so that would tally with yours, Sausage.

If the engine and turbo could hold 250Nm at 4k rpm then that makes 140bhp, and even 150bhp at 4.3, which is stock 1.8T territory, plenty enough.

What clutch are people using? Or does the stock clutch hold okay? I did have some clutch slip under boost, but the cable turned out to be a little tight.

I'm a bit thick sometimes, quite often probably, ... 187 lb ft is 253Nm, it's just dawned on me i wasnt comparing like for like. :lol:

No idea what clutch is in mine but the guy who tuned it spent a lot of money on it with hybrid turbo, LSD, nice exhaust, quality suspension etc so i doubt he skimped on the clutch. I dont know if the hybrid turbo is actually on the car though as he blew the engine up by holing the sump so this is a different engine, I'll find out when i get around to taking it off.

Yeah, sorry for my use of metric to confuse you.

Ooh, an LSD? I was sizing up a spare helical diff with my spare 085, wondering if I can squeeze it in there somehow. It looks close. Do you know what type of diff you have? I also wonder the effects it may have on fuel economy.

No it's since owning the car and reading the 187 on the print out, my brain just didnt make the connection between lb ft and Nm when others bandied around 240Nm etc I felt inadequate. SO yeah a bit of a long standing brain fart. :rolleyes::lol:

Wavetrac afaik.

• 4 years later...

Hi guys I need a little help I know it’s not a Lupo but I thought I give it ago Iv got a 2008 Skoda fabia mk2 1.4 tdi pd80 I want to do some engine mods to my car like

air filter

egr delete

straight through

Map

I can’t find anything for these engines I

Edited by Fabiatdi
Respell word

• 2 years later...