Removing lacquer from alloy

Haha

So I have these Wolfrace alloys on my Arosa

rhN1o.jpg

the paint on them looks great (when they're actually clean) but the lacquer on the alloy has these marks on them.

rhN30.jpg

I got told to scrub it with one of these things, my granddad calls it a lac block and said it takes the lacquer off but takes forever. I didn't actually realise till I started when he said forever, he meant forever.

rhN3A.jpg

Here is a before and after, after scrubbing it hard for about 30 minutes. Which believe it or not gets tiring pretty fast.

BEFORE:

rhN4i.jpg

AFTER:

rhNmP.jpg

Don't get me wrong, it works as it should and removes the lacquer, but it is going to take a lifetime to get around all 4 wheels.

Is there a faster/better way of doing this without actually removing the lacquer that's on the paint? 

Cheers in advance :thumbup:

Also, wasn't sure what forum to put this in but this one seemed relevant.

1 hour ago, Sausage said:

The marks are under the lacquer.

Yeah I got told it was just some water that had got under and created the mark. I'll get some sand paper when I get a chance and post the results. Cheers mate!

All rims of this type do this in the end, far better just to have bare metal in the style of Watanabe's/Panaports or other great Jap wheels. Granted you'll have to bring it up to a shine again now and then using Autosol etc, still far easier than dealing with corrosion under lacquer.

As @Sausage mentions, remove the lacquer with some 240G then work up through the grades to achieve a high shine.

10 hours ago, Skezza said:

Wolf race..... Retro :P

They came with the car, I like em :lol:

10 hours ago, JoeyEunos said:

... far better just to have bare metal in the style of Watanabe's/Panaports or other great Jap wheels ...

Ah so you think it would be best to just leave the lacquer off? I was going to throw a few coats on but if you think they'd be fine without it then I think I'll save myself the job then!

1 hour ago, Haha said:

Ah so you think it would be best to just leave the lacquer off? I was going to throw a few coats on but if you think they'd be fine without it then I think I'll save myself the job then!

^IMO yes, (others will disagree I'm sure)

Like I mentioned, most of the heritage JDM wheels came like this. Whilst they do need a polish up a couple of times a month as preventative maintenance, they don't get that ugly corrosion trapped under the lacquer seen on modern knock offs from the likes of Rota/Dare etc.

FWIW here's a thread I made a couple of years back (On another site) detailing a refurb I carried out on some rare/old Jap wheels.

http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=144618

At the time I considered applying lacquer but didn't, guess what... Everything was fine, no kittens died and with a bit of wheel wax and some Autosol it was easy to keep them looking good ;)

17 hours ago, Haha said:

They remind me of 90's Barry Boys :D