1.8T Lupo weight?

Derv

Surely then all you need to find out is the weight of the lupo engine you have vs the weight of the turbo lump you want to fit? As I'm pretty sure that if anyone was that concerned they'd just do that first instead of chop back half the engine bay of a perfectly good lupo, bolt a 1.8t in its place and then decide if it was, or not, a bad idea because of the weight.

In my opinion you'd be best off just asking someone with one how it handles in comparison to a normal lupo. Because even if you find out the weight how will that help you? Do you have a certain limit in your head already of what is acceptable and what isn't?

I am just being lazy, and I thought that I would ask here, as I figured there would be quite a few 1.8T Lupo owners lurking here that would know the answer.

I don't have a suitable set of scales here, and it's not easy to get my 1.8T to the local weighbridge. Plus simply weighing the engine wouldn't account for all the other bits and bobs.

I guess if it ended up being much more than 1100kg, then I wouldn't be so interested. I still want the car to be nimble enough.

I'm just weighing up the options, or trying to.

You could get a reasonable guesstimate by looking up the kerb weights of a 1.8t donor car and it's 1.6 equivalent and finding the difference then add that on your lupo base cars weight. 

Mk4 golf 1.6 16v fsi 1125kg

Mk4 golf 1.8T 1240kg

Mk4 golf 1.8t 20v 1279kg

Difference = 115kg or 154kg depending on engine (according to auto data net website)

So that gives a reasonable figure to work from. Although some of that may be larger wheels and tyres extra interior weight from extra features and other factors.

Edited by Sausage

That's a good way of looking at it. It's surprising how it adds up, and it's probably going to be too much for my liking.

Comparing my 1.4 16V Lupo to my 3L I can already feel the disadvantage of the extra 200kg, adding a load more weight to the front end is going to further spoil the fun. The car needs to handle well at the end of the day. Power isn't everything.

It's only that my 1.4 Lupo needs a bit of work on the engine and the gearbox, and I have a spare 1.8T sat around, so it got me wondering, before I spend too much time on repairing the 1.4 setup.

Butchering an old 1.4 wouldn't be a problem, it's not like it's a GTI or anything.