Ignition Switch Gremlins?

Gordon Sage

I have a strange problem with my 1999 1.0 Lupo (AER engine, 60k on the clock) - engine will start but indicators/wipers/headlights are dead. They are ok if I just switch ignition on but after starting the engine then they don't work. Seems obvious - ignition switch is faulty. But I have replaced it and the problem remains. In fact it's probably worse - intermittent before and now seems to be permanent. With only the Haynes Polo manual to work from I'm struggling a bit. Where are the relays on the Lupo?

Once I get this fixed then I can get back to the rough idling/misfire issue - I'll post that separately in due course...........

20 hours ago, Skezza said:

Alternator imo.  None of what you've said suggests ignition switch 

Yeah, but he can crank the engine... Power to the starter solenoid goes through the IG switch. I wonder if his radio works.... Curious problem. My bet is something with the wiring up near the battery- maybe that link box.

20 hours ago, Skezza said:

Alternator imo.  None of what you've said suggests ignition switch 

Yeah, but he can crank the engine... Power to the starter solenoid goes through the IG switch. I wonder if his radio works.... Curious problem. My bet is something with the wiring up near the battery- maybe that link box.

Thanks for all the help. In the end I got lucky and discovered the cause just by chance - it was the ignition switch, or more accurately the ignition lock barrel which needed a little lubrication to allow the key to return cleanly to the drive position from the start position - it was sticking between the two.