A few problems.. Cutting out

Hi,

I'm having a few problems with my Lupo 1.4s at the moment and wondering if anyone has any advise.

It's been cutting out a lot when I brake or slow down. Normally when I put the clutch down the car just cuts out and the battery light flicks on. It wasn't so bad a first but now it's starting to really worry me because it can cut out like 6 times or more in just the 45 minute drive to work. A lot of the time it cuts out briefly, jolts and comes straight back to life. Other times I've had it cut out and not been able to start it for a while. I literally sit at roundabouts with my hazards on trying to get it started again.

I've read that cleaning the throttle body can fix this so hoping my boyfriend can show me how to do that tomorrow. But has anyone had this problem and been able to fix it?

The other problem today was the steering felt really heavy. It still has power steering but doesn't feel quite right. It was a lot of effort going around corners and parking. I'm going to check tyre pressure tomorrow but could it be something else? I did hit some debris on the motorway on Wednesday which made a loud noise/bang under my car, so I hope it's not damaged it :S

I'm trying to find a better car but until then has anyone got any advise which might make my daily commute a little easier? I love my little Lupo but I'm a complete noob with cars so any help would be appreciated :)

I'd say you have an issue with your auxiliary drive, have you checked your belts lately? The alternator may not be charging because it's not getting drive from the belt fully, and the power steering works from the belt spinning the pump, so with those 2 faults being connected by the belt drive is start your search there.

might be idling to low, will give you the same problems, would start with the basics, check the air filter, you can test by removing it then having a little drive see if theres is any difference

I suppose the real question is when was it last serviced

Edited by Mobieus_uk

2 hours ago, weslangdon said:

plug it into fault code reader before you chase down other speculative faults

would have been my first choice but I'm guessing they haven't got a codereader, could be wrong though,so went with old school 'take a look'

It had an MOT and service in March, done at the same time.

Cleaned the throttle body today which was covered in oil. Hoping that will help, I'm driving to work tomorrow so will see if it's made a difference.

The oil in the car was also very low, despite only filling it a few weeks ago so topped that up. I'm also going to top the power steering fluid up because that's on minimum.

I've booked my mechanic for Tuesday to change the cambelt (it's currently on 112k miles so needs doing soon) and hopefully have a look at my engine. :)

Thanks for the comments, will keep you updated. 

• Like 1

Cleaning the throttle body seemed to do the trick. It hasn't cut out since it's been cleaned :)

Had the cam belt done today, but it's got another problem now. My mechanic installed and afterwards the car wouldn't start. He's saying it has something to do with some temperature gauge which needs replacing. He reckons that's why it's been cutting out... It's never had problems starting before apart from when it needed a new battery. So hoping tomorrow he will fix that because getting fed up of these problems which seem to pop up one after another.

36 minutes ago, mebex said:

Cleaning the throttle body seemed to do the trick. It hasn't cut out since it's been cleaned :)

Had the cam belt done today, but it's got another problem now. My mechanic installed and afterwards the car wouldn't start. He's saying it has something to do with some temperature gauge which needs replacing. He reckons that's why it's been cutting out... It's never had problems starting before apart from when it needed a new battery. So hoping tomorrow he will fix that because getting fed up of these problems which seem to pop up one after another.

Not sure I buy that

19 hours ago, mebex said:

Just so we're on the same page... You drive it to the place (car starting and drive-able one would have to assume) , the mechanic changes the timing belt (opposite side of the engine to where the majority of sensors are) , once he's changed this, the car won't start..... But he 'reckons' it is to do with a sensor? :huh:

As above, one, I doubt that  (I suppose incorrect fueling due to a faulty sensor COULD be the reason for it cutting out at low revs.... ) 

BUT, two,  if you're saying that it cuts out intermittently, you sit there for a while trying to get it to start, AND he's had the cambelt off (which is also an AUX belt off job)... Then I'd say check the alternator is working as expected, and that the whole aux belt system is working properly, the same belt drives the power steering and the alternator.. 

If you have a test meter, measure the volts on the battery as well and make sure it's holding a charge / being charged. Should be roughly around 11.8-12v+ when car off, and 13-14v when the car is on.  

• 2 weeks later...

All fixed. The car sounds so good when I'm driving it. Kinda sound like my sisters Nissan lol. It hasn't cut out since which is great. It judders a bit when I sit at junctions or park up but I'm getting used to that but happy with how it's driving :)

16 minutes ago, mebex said:

All fixed. The car sounds so good when I'm driving it. Kinda sound like my sisters Nissan lol. It hasn't cut out since which is great. It judders a bit when I sit at junctions or park up but I'm getting used to that but happy with how it's driving :)

Good! What was the problem?