Anyone fitted Polo driveshafts?

This is driving me mad. Just put a driveshaft from a  Polo 6N AFH onto the Lupo, and then the end outer nut on the wheel hub won't go more than half way through the nut...

Is anyone aware of a difference? I've tried said nut on 4 polo driveshafts, and all get stiff around same point. No obvious differences in thread or any damage, and nut works fine on Lupo shaft. Looked on an online parts page and both are listed as M20 x 1.5.

Any help appreciated.

On 7/21/2016 at 6:07 PM, Mobieus_uk said:

thread may have been stretched when it was on the lupo driveshaft  so it will be a perfect match for that driveshaft but not so good on another driveshaft

Ah ok, I hadn't considered that possibility! 

Was thinking of running an M20x1.5 die nut over the thread of the driveshafts, but that may not help... 

Edited by cj1

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

I think the petrol polos are longer.

When I compared them, they did look the same length. I've managed to get the nut on now, ran a die nut up and down it a few times and then it was fine. Odd that all 4 of the Polo ones I have must have a damaged thread. Suspect whoever took them off the cars must have knocked the hell out of them with a hammer to free them up, which damaged the thread... Still, got there in the end! 

• 2 years later...
On 7/25/2016 at 3:46 PM, Rich said:

I think the petrol polos are longer.

Holy thread resurrection! 

So, I’m now looking to get brand new driveshafts as a precaution. 

Which would you go for? The polo ones originally used on the AFH model. Or the Lupo petrol ones? I can’t find any lengths anywhere at the moment and don’t have any to compare. 

7 hours ago, LR5V said:

What type of Polo? I understood Lupo shared same part number with 6N & 6N2

Curiosity got the better of me and yes most I’ve found also list them as compatible for both the Lupo and Polo. 

Also measured strut top centres between Lupo and 6N2, both were 1030mm. 

So if it is indeed running a wider track and thus longer driveshafts I can only see this difference being in the bottom ball joints similar to how it is achieved on a Lupo GTI. 

So I have confirmed that indeed the polo with AFH engine had a different part number to that of the Lupo so they aren't the same.

There's not a definitive answer I can find on other threads so hoping this serves as a helpful prompt for anyone else looking to do this swap. 

So a Petrol Lupo driveshaft, in a Lupo, with a polo AFH engine, would be the correct one to use, correct? 

26 minutes ago, Rich said:

Lupo uses lupo shafts

Polo uses Polo shafts.

Inners and outers seem the same and I have switched between them

Thanks. I know I'm overthinking it but had a few issues with the car lately. 

The confusion all started when I bought 6N0 407 452X  - Listed as a Polo/Lupo/Arosa shaft. I guess it's measuring tape time.