2001 1.4 to carbs

jparkes43

Hello

Wanting to do carb conversion on my 1.4 16v 2001 lupo.

I know about the advantages and disadvantages etc so that doesn't matter.

just wondering, what i need to do with all the electronic parts i take off etc, i can work with the mechanical side of things thats no issue. 

James

Your basic problem is ignition timimg and advance controlled by the ECU, you have two options you can either try to fool the ECU that it's still in charge or you can replace the ignition system with an after market one.

Do you have a cable or fly by wire throttle ?

Fooling, will be interesting.

You need to find the mass airflow meter because you need that, It may be part of the throttle body if so remove the butterfly and feed the air to your carbs  through the hole. if not  then use the air flow meter to feed the air to the carbs.

Fooling the ECU as to injection is easy just put resistors across the injector connectors at the right value

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be very interested to know how you get around the ignition timing issues. Everything else will be straight forward. After market ignition system is what I'd use. You need vacuum advance, tps/map and Rpms as inputs. Could also use a knock sensor.... I'd also upgrade the cat. My guess is that you may see a 30% power increase at high Rpms. Twin 40-40 dellorto carbs is what I'd use! Great project.