Hom much is my car worth?

Brendo

Hi Everyone, just looking for a bit of advice please. I have a 2003 03 plate Lupo Gti in reflex silver. About 80k miles and full service history and a ton of receipts and paperwork. Its in good but not immaculate condition but is currently SORN as the engine needs some work doing to it after the water pump bearings went. I'd not long before spend £900 on a major service, new cam belt and adjuster and new front tyres, but unbeknown to me they didn't replace the water pump and sods law it failed a few weeks later. I don't currently have the finances to get it fixed so was looking to sell the car to someone who might want to buy it as a repair. I've been quoted approximately £850 to get it fully repaired and the car cost me £4000 in August 2014.

It needs a new water pump, head gasket and the valves need doing. It has a new cam belt but it needs adjusting as isn't under tension.

Both windows are a bit slow but operate fine and it has no other mechanical defects other than the rear windscreen wiper sometimes doesn't turn off when you pull the stalk back so it seems to be the switch as the stalk is also relatively new. Other than that its absolutely fine and i'd never had a problem with it.

its got very few marks on it but it has a minor scuff on the rear wheel arch and a few scratches on the bottom of the front bumper where a particularly nasty speed bump got the better of me.

Can you guys give me a ball park figure of what I might expect to get for it?

Many Thanks, Brendan

lupo.png

£2k absolute max in my opinion. Running GTI's are going from as little as £2000 at the moment and by the time you've spent £850 on this, you could have got a really nice example.

So the pump gave up the ghost and the timing belt jumped /slipped , valves bent etc as contact been made with Pistons , from experience I've seen these damage the Pistons and the bore depending on severity so if the above is true it could get more expensive  I think £2000 is a high price considering you say it's good but not mint and list a few other jobs £1300 is where I'd be at with it 

I'm with Mitch. Depending on the rest of the car; paintwork, interior, wheels, tyres etc.

£2k is a lot to then find the Pistons and bore need sorted. Especially if you haven't stripped the head for inspection. 

Last GTI I seen this happen to ended up stripped and broken.

Yeh that was such a shame I bought the shell but couldn't decide what to do with it 

I'm in 1k, easy no strings pick up by someone, efficient transfer and I'm pretty sure I can piece together an engine pretty sharpish.

Christ on a bike :o

Every day's a schoolday in Lupo land... Even Rich's offer of £1k seems like pie in the sky money to me for a 13 year old non runner hatchback potentially in need of a new engine, TBH even half that would strike me as a push, shows what I know :rolleyes:

Edited by JoeyEunos

Thanks for the advice guys.

Other than the bits I mentioned the car is in otherwise good condition. Good wheels, Avon tyres with plenty of tread, no dents on the bodywork. The garage I took it to after the water pump failed did take the head off and inspect it to see the extent of the damage and said it was just the valves (they said thy looked ok but should replace to be safe), water pump, head gasket and the cam belt needs adjusting. But I'm not a mechanic so I'm taking their word for it. It also has adjustable coil overs which I forgot to mention in the first description.

Edited by Brendo