Seat airbag resistors

I have removed the cloth interior from my GTI and fitted a leather one. Yet to wire the heating elements in but thats another storey. The leather seats do not have shoulder airbags where as the originals did. Under the seat are the yellow airbag connections with 3 wires. A brown, a white, and a blue or green depending on which side of the car. I have tried inserting resistors bridging the white and blue & white and green. I have tried 2.2 ohm, 2.4 ohm & 2.7 ohm. I have done both sides at once and cleared the fault codes using vcds lite between each attempt. But the dash light refuses to stay out. I have not tried bridging the resistor between the brown wire & either white or blue and green. Can anyone clarify for me which connections should the resistor be connected to?

Thanks for that, but to test the resistance with a meter involves putting a current through the system which has the capability of firing the air bag igniters which I rather like to avoid! But I do agree that measuring the original resistance would be the fool proof way forward. Anybody know to do this "passively"?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, got this sorted. It is a 2.7 ohm resistor that is needed in the under seat air bag harness plug to put the air bag light out (well thats to one that worked for me). Mistake I made was buying 2.7 Kohm resistors to start with - 1000 times too much resistance! The tails of the resistor should be connected to the white cable and the blue or green cable depending on which side seat we are talking about, and not to the brown wire. Then using VCDS lite, I cleared the codes & the airbag light behaved as it should - i.e. came on then went out again.

Now all I have to do is wire in the heating elements. Got a Kufatec loom in but need to know where to connect the 12v ignition feed.......any advice?