GTI not starting, any ideas?

Hello All,

I appreciate this is difficult to give exact advice but any ideas why my GTI won't start?

This morning ok. Moved car short distance (20yds) to get another car out of garage, reversed it back. 12 hours later came home GTI won't start.

Open driver's door and fuel pump primes as normal. Engine turns over but no life at all.

Going to investigate tomorrow evening but if you have any thoughts of what could be possible cause it will help.

Also going to borrow VAG diag reader - will that help me in this case?

Thanks in advance

Chris Hargreaves

Best thing to do is get the fault codes read, could a number of things causing this so hopefully it will point you in the right direction. If I was to guess, I'd say crankshaft sensor....

But this is a GTI not TDI so now glow plug light.  The op said he can hear the fuel pump prime when he opens the door so I'd be surprised if it was a fuel pump relay, which is a 409 relay on a GTI.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Jump started the car, after a little delay it fired up ok with strong fuel smell out of exhaust, which disappeared after a few mins. Guess that was due to all the times I'd previously tried to start it.

Engine ran fine thereafter. Treated it to a new battery (previous one at least 11 years old). Not missed a beat since over the last few days.

Could the ECU detect low battery voltage and inhibit starting even though there was enough juice in there to crank it over? Unlike an older car where it probably would have fired eventually?

Trying to get an OBD reader to work with my GTI to hopefully read fault codes and see if "bat low" is one of them - or if something else is still intermittent. Guy at work lnet me his VAG-COM so that should work ok I guess.

Regards

Chris