lupo sdi 109 relay

Car wouldn't start and does this every now and then but dead as a dodo

traced the fault to the 109 relay, what a joy that is to get to

bridge out pins 87 and 30 with a little wiring loom and a switch, car starts perfectly and cuts when i turn the switch off so the glowcoils, solenoid and everything else is good

thought would check further and was expecting 12v out were pin 85 lines up, cant seem to get a voltage, I'm sure the relay is dead as no resistance at all between pins 85 and the pin with no number(on the relay itself)

its smells cooked so I'm 80% it the relay its just not seeing the voltage I was expecting, have I missed something? one of the fuses maybe but all look good and the diagram does seem to mention a fuse for the fuel pump solenoid

just updating my own question, it was defo the relay, took it apart and found a poor soldered joint on one of the pins, soldered it over again refitted and all working ok

my voltage issue maybe me overthinking it, I know the car uses negative voltage so maybe something to do with that

• Like 1

The original relay 109's are a ticking bomb really. They're a bad design. Mine went in a petrol station without any kind of warning. After I pushed the car to the edge of the car park with a staff member. I sat there waiting for recovery. In anger, I bashed the fuse box and I got a flicker from the glow plug light. The car started then started fine and got me home okay.

Just make sure you replace it with either a new OEM one or an aftermarket one with the newer part number, otherwise you'll be waiting for it to happen again.