My project loopy

Cypha

Hi, just thought I would say hi.

Picked up a road ripping 1.0 lupo and although much slower from my usual cars, I fell in love with it.

Long story short I have throw caution to the wind and have began a full blown project, with hope of making it onto the coverted pages of performance vw magazine.

We all have to start somewhere...

So I have started by lowering it, I think about 80mm on coil over kit, but it will go 100mm all round.

Removed the rub strips, only to find that the lovely previous owner (who I have to say has really looked after it as a stock SE model) had dusted the door over and now I have line that no amount of t-cut can fix. Not a issue though as I am planning a bodykit and a full colour change respray.

I am thinking a OEM car in styling. I am not into loud colours or Halfords bodykits so it will be subtlely styled. I am thinking 15" powder coated corrado g60 steels but I am really looking for some advise on that. I had my heart set on some polished 928 wheels but they are either crazy dear or like hens teeth...

Advise please on the wheels.

In regards to colour, either candy apple red, venom green or florida blue...thoughts?

14646294665081148370347.jpg

Nice Lupo! Got one similar although it's blue.

I am a big fan on the standard blue colour. 

And your wheels are nice. All I'd do to those wheels is clean them, maybe refurbish and paint them a dark grey so they don't look really stock. That's what I'm planning with mine.

You have a nasty scuff on your bumper too. I can't decide if I want to take the bumper strip off my Lupo for the reason of having a line down the side of my car. What would you recommend?

• Like 1

Oh i so wish mine was blue...could have saved me a fortune!

I ummed and arrred about the rub strips and took the plunge. It looks so much better. You need to get a caramel wheel from ebay (about £4) and a drill and off you go....

Well I took the plunge and pick up some wheels from Leicester off fleebay.

Proper 80's VW throwback alloys.

Going to get them dripped, stripped and powder coated in a graphite grey colour.

Been shopping about and a full wrap is the way to go for what I want.

Pearlescent white?

Screenshot_2016-06-07-19-52-18.png

Edited by Cypha
  • Like 1

I would argue that white would look wrong. I would go for a gun metal grey colour. Looks dead smart though.

I would take the whole strip off but I'm really not sure just yet. They are quite useful sometimes as I have to park right next to a wall with my drivers door and it just saves me alot of hassle because I know the strip hits the wall and not the paint.

I've recently been sorting all the tiny bits of rust out on mine.

• 1 month later...

Right I have been quiet for a while. I have started many different stream of the project at the same time....honestly I don't know why!! :(

So here are the before and after pictures of the boot sound system. I need to hide the wires but custom reboxing the sub has produced a kick ass sound!

20160713_201728.jpg

20160715_204324.jpg

20160727_231834.jpg

Retro VW alloys have been polished but I am yet to take a picture or put them on yet. But I have finally decided to have the car dipped instead of wrapped. It's more cost effective. Matt black it is then. Next up window tinting, new rubber for the rims. More body touch ups before I get it dipped.

Thoughts....?

Update....

Popped to Manchester (like you do a 500 mile round trip for no reason!) And picked up my custom 'Radioactive Green' paint for my car... watch this space for the colour change update

20160730_125352.jpg

20160730_130243.jpg

Edit: I need to do the front bumper as well...grr. I feel like I am funding halfords at the moment personally.

Everyone looks, but no one replys :(

I welcome any responses or comments or better still some ideas.....please!

Opps forgot to put a picture of the filled and painted rear bumper. It has turned out brilliant! Almost looks like it should have come colour coded.

20160806_200607.jpg

Another update. Front bumper smoothed and painted. I an not 100% with so I am going to have a few hours tweaking it this week.

Never the less very happy with my progress this weekend.

20160807_171951.jpg

20160807_171957.jpg

20160807_172002.jpg

Ok here's my take on it as you did ask.

I like it exactly as it is, the colour is great the height is great, the wheels are great. Slightly rough around the edges is how i like them so pic 1 was fine :lol:

Bright metallic green wrap seems like a waste of money to me as you have a nice colour already. The subtle mods you have done so far are good though, but it is a 1.0 so not worth throwing money at unless you intend to keep it for a good few years. 

Edit: ok missed the line about wanting it featured in mags, then you will need to chuck some money at it or be very handy yourself or probably both. I still think subtle colours is the way to go though. Bagged and turbo'd too if you want it featured as someone has to do a 1.0 turbo at some point just for the shits and giggles.

Edited by Sausage

I agree mainly with Sausage, such a nice colour as it is! Not particularly a fan of the de-badged front end, makes it look like it's been done to be used in one of those car insurance adverts, That's just my opinion though! Definitely appreciate the work you are putting into it and I do like those alloys!

Edited by Skajme

I like where it's at now tbh, give it a bloody good polish as imo some of the paint looks a little matted (might just be the pics), maybe joey the headlights to complement the fresco green, and i'd definitely polish the hell out of the new wheels till you can see your face in them!

And another note, I do believe your amp fuse is in the wrong place in the boot, ideally it should be as close to the battery as possible in case it chafes and shorts on any metal on the way from the front of the car to the back... 

As sausage said, i would also love to see a turbo'd 1.0 just because it's a brilliantly ridiculous idea :yes:

Really love it though, nice to see another fresco loop!

• 4 weeks later...

Oh my what a journey I have had. Proper highs and low lows! Firstly do not pick a car colour based on a inch by inch swatch! That was my first mistake. Did some one say kermits spunk colour...!?!?!

"The final straw was a little girl walked past the house and pointed at the green car and said look mummy it's the funny car...that was it!"

Secondly pasti-dip is ****, there I said it. It literally ****ed up the car. It wrecked the clear coat.

It took me 3 weeks and 20 liters of panel wipe to remove it. IT DOESN'T ALWAYS PEEL OFF!!

Anyways after I removed it I fell back in love with the original colour...I know go figure. So I spent the next 3 weeks respraying the whole car.

All the bits that were so so are now perfect. Cutting in the clear coat on Monday.  I will post more pictures when it is perfect. Last image is now btw.

But for now I will leave you some images to laugh over...oh my!

Please feel free to mock me lol

20160813_102657.jpg

20160814_143041.jpg

20160814_143035.jpg

20160909_150636.jpg

Edited by Cypha
Additional info

So update time.....full body respray is now cut in and the wheels have rubber. 165/65 r14 stretched. It has offered me loads more room in the arches and so i can stance it and drop it low now.

There are some things i need to sort out so its about 90% complete to where i want to be this side of autumn. Wheels need final sliver spray over and Polish up....

Coliovers need adjusting again and i need to lower it again....so please wait. It looks like a bogger at the moment.

Next interior (winter 2016) and then engine (2017 sometime).

But for now comments good or bad please. I really really really want to take it to a show and shine, so any help you can offer would be a blessing.

20160913_190035.jpg

20160913_190418(0).jpg

20160913_190251.jpg

20160913_190257.jpg

20160913_190150.jpg

20160913_190027.jpg

Edited by Cypha

• 1 month later...

nice lupo mate got the same one nice little run arounds arnt they... what mpg do you get? 

what lights have you fitted the gti projector ones?

ive lightly smoked my headlights, indicator lights and side indicators to match my rear smoked lights, blend it quite nicely...

i was thinking of tinting the windows with a 50% tint all around just to have that "oemish" look but i dont know how that would look, wouldnt go any darker dont think it would suit the lupos.