OEM style cruise control on non-tdi?

Have seen some 'rostra' universal cruise control kits online and am wondering if anyone can give me some info on the cruise control stalk used on transporters, like this one;

30062008022.jpg

From what I can tell, the rostra kits use momentary buttons to switch the cruise on/off, and set/resume etc.

Does this stalk also use momentary buttons (i.e. non latching)?

Also the kits require a clutch switch, does the one off a tdi bolt straight on to a non-tdi?

Here's a link to the kit i'm on about http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rostra-250-1223-Universal-Cruise-Control-Kit-with-250-3593-Dash-Mount-Control-/260987064062

For some reason, I'm madly tempted to give that utterly lunatic looking kit a go in my sdi. Why not eh?

It seems to use some kind of servo motor that you physically attach to the throttle cable, then wire in to vss, brake light and clutch switches for it to do its job. Provided the sdi isnt drive by wire it should work

36 minutes ago, tom01997 said:

Hi Skezza, im in Cyprus till Sunday but will be ordering something next week hopefully! Might put a how to up if there is enough interest?

there would be enough interest for sure.

Right, i decided not to import a kit from Aus/the US, because it's too much mucking about with customs and shipping times plus the lack of support available etc etc.

Picked up a kit called a Waeco MS50 from a local company called Conrad Anderson. The kit uses a vacuum servo, not an electric servo so it has be tapped into a vacuum hose off the inlet manifold. Hopefully the vacuum on the little 1.0 is strong enough to hold the throttle cable, if not I am told a vacuum reserve tank can be used to help out?

If anybody is knowledgeable in this field, an explanation of how vacuum lines work, and how a reserve tank could help, would be much appreciated.

Anyway, the control buttons that come with it look positively non-factory, so if I do get it working correctly, i'll try and get a T4 stalk and see if i can get that to work with the kit too.

Making the electrics work would be a piece of piss, genuinely. 

I'm more interested in the mechanical side of this.

On 5/28/2016 at 10:39 AM, tom01997 said:

I know for a fact my 1L is cable driven

Yeah... :censored:

I may have been factually incorrect there

Hence why in my other topic i wanted a grommet near the pedal - the kits suggest mounting the actuator cable onto the throttle pedal but it is just too tight under there. I can't even get my hand in, let alone tighten up bolts!

08738f02963c2defbbbc94d05224ba60.png

I think there is a little ball joint between the pedal and the throttle sensor linkage bit that one kit suggests you fit a ring loop onto; So that would make it a little easier I suppose..

9219f6b254a049b0c7788d0e73243226.png

The second issue is that in order to get the cable to pull the pedal at the right angle I would have to make a hole in the firewall for the cable to pull through. But the throttle pedal is almost directly in line with the wheel arch, and so once the cable got through the firewall, it has nowhere to go except into the wheel! If anyone can correct me on this, please do! Vagpart shows a spot, but I can't see it for the life of me because it's so far up the dash!

0a7b3a521abe6a13e49a444b14f577c6.png

For the time being, I have returned the kit within the 7 days so I don't have to pay a £50 handling charge, but I do have a few cables I can play around with - I may try and route a throttle cable into the engine bay myself, from the pedal, and if that cable works smoothly enough, re-order the kit and affix it to that. But as far as I can see, there isn't any easy way of doing this - it may even be a dashboard out job. Let's face it though, it never was going to be easy!

Edited by tom01997