Question about my new Clutch (tdi)

I will stick it back on tomorrow.  I'm all beaten up for today :(

I think the next best step would be to put the old box back on. Then if it works I know it's the new box arrangement, if it doesn't then I know it's the clutch eh

oh, I intended to change the box and check the clutch whilst at it. Turned out that the clutch was on its last legs and so ordered a new one

Edited by wehey

i had this problem when i changed my clutch on my tdi,

when you put the slave back into where it came from you have to make sure that the plunger is dead central on the arm as when you do the bolts up it can send it at an angle and so it is not operating on the indent in the arm if that makes sense,

i.e it is not pushing the arm all the way so no gears can be selected or very little,

7 minutes ago, rrdoctoruk said:

i had this problem when i changed my clutch on my tdi,

when you put the slave back into where it came from you have to make sure that the plunger is dead central on the arm as when you do the bolts up it can send it at an angle and so it is not operating on the indent in the arm if that makes sense,

i.e it is not pushing the arm all the way so no gears can be selected or very little,

Thanks mate. It's certainly worth looking at as it's quite tricky to get it lined and bolted up straight. 

Mind you, I have had the slave in and out a dozen times so far and no luck yet. Will defo give it another look tomorrow ?

So the slave is working it's just not releasing the pressure plate, I'd take the slave off and check the throw with a rod from the face of the slave mounting to the clutch arm and see what i got before taking it all apart  again.

If you're getting enough throw then it's an issue with alignment.

You could mimic the slave with a threaded rod and plate similar to brake piston retractor

19 minutes ago, carrera-gt said:

So the slave is working it's just not releasing the pressure plate, I'd take the slave off and check the throw with a rod from the face of the slave mounting to the clutch arm and see what i got before taking it all apart  again.

If you're getting enough throw then it's an issue with alignment.

You could mimic the slave with a threaded rod and plate similar to brake piston retractor

Yep the slave is definitely working. 

I earlier measured from the face of the slave mounting to the clutch arm and it's approx 1 1/2 inches. The slave when fully extended is about 4 inches, so plenty enough movement in it.

when you say "alignment" do you mean the clutch plate alignment or slave alignment?

Edited by wehey

No I was thinking of the arm, release bearing and slave, that alignment

where does the arm pivot ? Is it in the correct place ?

If you manually press on the arm can you feel the finger springs ?

One way  to align it all is to partially extend the slave then insert it into the arm then bolt it up.

I've not had a slave off of these gearboxes, I have an 02S box which is almost identical to the 02J on the garage floor with a slave on it, but i've not taken one off or put one on and if it is as ridiculously fiddly to get it lined up and working properly as carrera-gt says then it's definitely worth a closer look. There's a hell of a dimple in the clutch arm and a round rod end, why cant it just self centre?

It does appear to be a simple job to install it and I find I hard to believe I have fecked it up, maybe a dozen times lol as its been in and out A LOT

but I will definitely investigate further and maybe make up a "wind in tool" to depress the clutch manually, just to prove to myself what's what 

You won't guess what happened to me today in a million years.......

I have a second car, a Micra K11 which I have been driving whilst working on the Arosa clutch/gearbox swap.

Was driving to work this morning, approached a roundabout, went to change into 2nd and th clutch went pop!!!!!

Got rescued home by a local VW breaker/mechanic/recovery guy who have known for a while.

He gave the Arosa a look over and reckoned it was good to go.

So I spent the rest of the afternoon bolting it all back together and it only bloody well works ??????

I still have a few bits to do to get it drivable but for now it's looking good. he thinks that the slave wasn't lining up properly at 1st, as mentioned before.

Hopefully I'm back on the road tomorrow 

On 26 May 2016 at 6:18 PM, Sausage said:

Good stuff. Valuable lessons have been learned here, those slave cylinders are not plug and play apparently... :blink:

Many lessons were learned lol. 

The main one was that if the neighbors cat gets into your car, you have to poke it with a stick to get it out. ?

The whole thing was a bit of an experiment to see if a Polo gearbox would work on the Arosa. I searched for over 6 months for a Lupo/Aroso tdi box and came up with nowt.

Hopefully this info will go on to help someone else in the future!!

Now I have to do the whole thing again with the Micra lol

Edited by wehey