Problem with overheating

Hey peeps,

Quick Q for the tech heads amongst you. My coolant level is normal when cold, yet my temp gauge starts to slowly go up now when I'm stuck in traffic. Checked when I got home on tickover and the fan isn't cutting in when the car's up to temperature. Had a look online and someone's said it's probably a faulty relay fan switch. Where are these located for the 1.6 engine - are they in the rad itself? Does this mean a replacement rad is needed?  

P.S - My Loop is without air-con.

Cheers

Sezza

Edited by Golf+sezza
update

Have you checked the fuses under the bonnet? Mine blew and the fan didn't cut in, luckily I didn't overheat though. Think its a 40amp fuse, found in the fuse box next to the positive jump-start terminal.

So... we've checked the fuses and all are fine and we've replaced the fan switch, thinking that might be faulty. But no, still haven't got to the bottom of this as the fans still don't move, hence overheating. We're at a blank - anyone have any other ideas? Cheers

Edit(didn't read reply properly):

Have you checked the fans haven't burnt out themselves? They may be getting a 12v feed but if they're buggered they won't work.

Edited by Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Did you find a solution to this? My 1.0 Lupo has what seems like an identical issue, apart from I haven't overheated yet. 

Checked the fuses, they are fine. I have put a voltmeter across it and get no reading so the issue is there but don't know how to diagnose it as I would expect a reading and got nothing.

19 hours ago, SMC-Thomas said:

Did you find a solution to this? My 1.0 Lupo has what seems like an identical issue, apart from I haven't overheated yet. 

Checked the fuses, they are fine. I have put a voltmeter across it and get no reading so the issue is there but don't know how to diagnose it as I would expect a reading and got nothing.

Hey, well after a lot of trial and error it turned out the actual fan unit itself was faulty. A replacement OEM unit costs £350 (gulp!) and can take up to 10 days to arrive from Germany and to be honest they're probably on back order, so I went for a GSF Car Parts version instead at half the price. Not as good quality of course, but does the trick. At least my car's now back on the road for the show season :) 

Okay, well glad you solved it. I've got slightly different symptoms so I hope I don't have to fork out my savings for this. I'm currently restoring a bit of the bodywork on my car anyway as the guy I bought it off didn't have a clue how to mask up and prime or sand down for that matter so now I have the dry weather, I'm fixing and finishing the job to my standards. So not really driving my car as much recently as it's masked up and that.