Lupo 1.7 sdi fuel pump

chriso_dude

Hi guys having problems with my lupo after sourcing a gearbox the next problem is the fuel pump the car has a timing issue which points to the fuel pump could be the solenoid but not sure had some crazy prices for fuel pump one place said 500/600 trying to keep it cheap or otherwise will havta get rid of this money pit. Any one got Experiance of this problem it's causing the acceleration to be slow and have hardly any power.

Haha yeh tell me about it well it's even slower than usual struggling on hill and the revs drop when changing gear also engine running is loud. The diagnostics test showed a timing error And pointed to the fuel pump solenoid but they weren't able to get to it so it wasn't certain it was that. 

Did this generate a fault code? Or kick it into limp mode?

I was under the impression these sdi engines are mechanical injection and dont have much ecu involved for that sort of thing, but could be wrong.

Engine running loud as in diesel knock? Could be pump timing, could be injector(s) or seals.

Edited by Sausage

Not sure like sometimes it returns to normal and will sound how it used to but after 5 mins goes back to noisey revs. Unsure what to do tbh spent a lot on it with the gearbox worried that it's turning into a money pit so if I can't find an option that costs 300 or under Guna havta sell what would people pay as spares/repair?

yeh 2 places iv been to have given prices of 500-600 for refurb pump one place ripped me off by charging 70 quid for the diagnostics test not had much luck with this car gearbox and clutch cost me like 600 in march now this only payed a 1000 for it 

Edited by chriso_dude

30 minutes ago, Skezza said:

Sdi don't have a fuel pump, they have an injection pump.

That's just semantics tbh. Fuel pump, injector pump, it means the same thing to most people, or are you thinking of an in tank pump?

Has the fuel filter been changed?

I think a 1.9 tdi conversion should be on the cards....

So is this problem since the cambelt change or was it fine for a lot of miles?

Defo check that a new fuel filter was fitted, I'd also have a good look at the cambelt tension and timing before doing much else to it as well. Any garage doing diagnostics on the engine should really ave checked that tbh.

Edit to add: an intermittent fault would seem to point away from any timing issues and point to injector(s) mind. Time for a diesel purge probably.

Edited by Sausage

And when it happens is it loud diesel knock and smoke from the exhaust and loss of power for a short time then back to normal or is it for a long time? If smoke, what colour?

Fuel filter will be obviously new if replaced as it is silver metal part and replaced whole, so if it hasnt been done then do it. You might have water in the filter, open the drain until clean fuel comes out.

Edited by Sausage

Edit: bottom wire thru white clip in pic below should be timing solenoid (it should be under the fuel injection outlets and have wires going to it) then it could well be that, but chances are it would be like it all the time unless it's sticking or has poor wiring / signal.

Your problem here is that you have to pay people to diagnose and repair it, so it's best to start with the cheapest options or else the one that solves it in one go.

Cheap options: DIY find, remove, clean and inspect the timing solenoid, refit or find a new one if it's sensibly priced (say under £40). If it's any more then a 2nd hand pump looks appealing, see if there are alternatives that fit or you could pillage the solenoid off like this one:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-sdi-diesel-injector-pump-/322100815556?hash=item4afeb466c4:g:aEIAAOSwZAtXJNGR, you'll still want a new fuel filter if your looks years old and probably do a diesel purge.

$_57.JPG

Edited by Sausage

16 hours ago, Sausage said:

That's just semantics tbh. Fuel pump, injector pump, it means the same thing to most people, or are you thinking of an in tank pump?

Has the fuel filter been changed?

I think a 1.9 tdi conversion should be on the cards....

I'm thinking of a traditional in tank pump

I was under the impression that the solenoid on the fuel/injection pump is simply on or off and doesn't to anything inbetween and has nothing to to with the timing, the injectors thenselves are solenoids that are controlled from the ecu, lack of power could mean a injector has gone down, most faults have a code that go with them, interesting that the garage has not listed the code, would get hold of a code reader and check what code is being given

You're thinking of tdi, you are correct about the stop solenoid, it has nothing to do with the timing or injectors.

The top wire in the pic above goes to the stop solenoid (fuel shut off valve), the timing solenoid (start of injection valve) is at the bottom.

Chriso_dude you really need to find out what the error code was the garage found. I'm guessing it is this one or similar otherwise they wouldn't have been so interested in the SOI solenoid: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17656/P1248/004680

Get yourself a cheap kkl vagcom lead (£5) if you have a spare laptop and you can read and clear codes yourself and do a lot of other things with it. Without the codes or the ability to easily read and clear them you'll be stabbing around in the dark throwing money at it.