Central locking intermittent

Romany12

It's a 2004 Arosa S - great little car, but a locking problem.  I first noticed when using the remote fob that sometimes it would lock/unlock, then sometimes not.  New battery in the fob, of course, but no difference.  I then started using the key instead of the fob which was fine for a while, but although it always opens, most if the time it will only lock the driver door, not the boot or passenger door.  Summer's coming and I need to leave stuff in the car overnight - where should I start looking?  Any advice gratefully accepted.

I haven't got an answer that is specific to Arosa but sometimes a small amount of corrosion on any of the C/L circuit connectors can cause that kind of fault generally. My first Arosa would randomly lock itself despite no key in ignition/doors shut so had to always remember to never leave the keys on the seat/in the boot area temporarily as only had one key.

Thanks for that.  Are the central locking connectors distributed around the car at each door, or is there a central point?  I've never managed to discover where the receiver for the remote fob signal is located - might that be the central connection point for the central locking?  If you know what I mean.

Well, the connector plug underneath the driver's armrest central lock/unlock switches was hanging down a bit - took it out, cleaned it and pushed it back in - lo and behold normal service has been resumed.  Thanks Pond for pointing me at connectors - I was thinking perhaps one of the cables in the loom where it bends to pass into the door might have fractured and being horrified about how I would (or probably would not) find it!

The mechanisms are old and need either restoring or replacing. Not a huge job, but they're not expensive to replace so...