Japanese import Lupo GTi - Tornado Red

Dubster

Hey all,

Luckily I'm able to keep the GTi for fun, it isn't my daily. The car is in very good order, but since collecting it in November 2015 I've been working to resolve some minor issues.

So far...

Full engine service, oil & filter, air filter, plugs, fuel filter, pollen filter.

Cam belt, followers and water pump. Aux belt.

New wipers all round.

New electric window switches, luckily the windows now work 100%

Repaired the  clip holders on all door cards and refitted with new clips - no more rattles!

Fixed rear window washer.

Removed number plate surrounds (still present on photo) not to my taste :)

Restored the finish on the headlamp lenses.

Whilst the door cards where out of the rear, also removed the side pockets from the rear seating to allow easy access to check the condition of the sills. As hoped, the sills are still in as new condition. Now treated to a fresh application of Bilt Hamber Dynax S-50 Extreme Anti-Corrision Wax.

I have some more jobs to do, I'm being spurred on by the improving weather...

Lupo rear.JPG

Edited by Dubster
  • Like 1

Very nice :) I've heard it said before that red's by far the fastest colour, good choice!

RE Jap import cars, the lack of road salt over there translates to wonderfully rust free cars IME, what year was it imported, and do you have any pics of the underside (Sad I know)?

Dynax S50 is great stuff BTW, I've spent more time injecting it into the sills/arches/chasis rails of MX5's than I'd like to remember, sometimes from the cans and occosionally using a compressor and a shutz gun with injection lances. FWIW I also rate their Hydrate80 rust converter and the Dynax 'UB' really highly, it's a great underseal and perfect for wheel arches and those 'high impact' underbody areas. Have I mentioned I love Bilthamber products? :P

16 hours ago, JoeyEunos said:

Very nice :) I've heard it said before that red's by far the fastest colour, good choice!

RE Jap import cars, the lack of road salt over there translates to wonderfully rust free cars IME, what year was it imported, and do you have any pics of the underside (Sad I know)?

Dynax S50 is great stuff BTW, I've spent more time injecting it into the sills/arches/chasis rails of MX5's than I'd like to remember, sometimes from the cans and occosionally using a compressor and a shutz gun with injection lances. FWIW I also rate their Hydrate80 rust converter and the Dynax 'UB' really highly, it's a great underseal and perfect for wheel arches and those 'high impact' underbody areas. Have I mentioned I love Bilthamber products? :P

The car came into the UK in June 2015, so it's not even been exposed to a full year of UK weather yet!

No pictures of the underside as yet, but I do intend to clean the underneath and apply a coat of Dynax UB - great minds think alike! I also highly rate Bilt Hamber. I will post photos of the job.

The MX5 is a great little sports car. They are popular with the VW crowd over on another VW forum that I frequent.

Cheers :)

Two coats of Dynax UB, as per the instructions at least two ;)

Also, wow, 2015 makes yours a really fresh import! If I were you I wouldn't expose it to our roads after October if possible (It would be a massive shame to expose it to tin worm now after so many years of salt free use)

Did you import the car yourself or through an agent? These guys are a local outfit who've just started to import Mk1 MX5's again given their new semi 'classic' status... I know them/of them quite well, just get a look at the pictures of those undersides :wub: http://www.goodwoodsportscars.co.uk/gallery_664929.html#photos_id=14617033

Simply amazing for 25 year old Japanese cars eh? When you see the rot boxes we have for sale in this country you can't help but realise the damage salt does.