Door handle not working, Locks are

Hi All.

Didn't know which section to put this in so if its in the wrong one can you please move it to the correct one.

So, basically I've been using my car all morning with no issues, just gone out to it and both the interior & exterior drivers door handle are no longer working.

The door lock does seem to be working as I can see the indicator pin moving and I can hear it activating.

I have took the door card off and have noticed the cable to the interior handle has frayed but not snapped but I cannot see any other issues.

I have tried moving the lock pull from inside the door but that doesn't work either. 

Any ideas on how to release the door so I can have a better look? and any ideas on how to fix it?

I did have a search on here but can only find issues with spinning door locks.

Thanks

Dan

Dan, it sounds as though the tension on the lock mech bowden cable has gone out. It can be an absolute pain in the arse to fix, and a bigger pain to open the door in the first place.

I do have one suggestion, which worked for me, and you're probably not going to like, but it does work, if the tension is out. You need to bash the door handle hard, like with the side of a clenched fist. Don't use anything destructive, a fist will do it, you just need to be careful not to injure your hand or dent your door. Hit the handle hard, with the side of a fist, do it straight on as if you're hitting the handle in the opposite direction to it coming out. If the tension has gone, you will just add a tiny bit of slack for a millisecond and it'll be enough for the mech to release and then you can open the door.

Hit it with 3 or 4 hard, but non destructive blows. Try and open the door. Try again. Don't try and open from the inside, it won't work. It needs to be the outside handle. Trust me.

Once the door is open, I don't suggest closing it until you've had a look at the internal bowden cable on the mech.  

Cheers for your advise. I have just tried the beat the living hell out of the door handle and apart from some really weird looks from my neighbours im not having much luck.

When you say the lock mech bowden cable is that the small one that goes between the handle and the lock mech itself as apposed to the one that goes to the interior handle?

There's two cables. There's the one you can see when you whip the door card off. That one isn't particularly important. The one that goes up to behind the outside handle is very important. If over tense it, the door won't open. If you under tense it, the door won't open (unless you pull the handle several times usually).

It's a tricky one though, because the tension is set by a clip behind the exterior handle, so if your door was working the other day, it shouldn't ever just 'stop working'. Unless the bowden cable snapped. Confirm that hasn't happened? Assuming it hasn't, then again it's about double checking the tensions.

I've never heard of a lock mechanism completely seizing up. 

It is the right one I'm looking at then.

It was working without any issues this morning. I was in and out the car sorting the wiring to the towbar out, popped inside, came back out and now cannot get the door open. Literally happened within minutes.

The one that goes to the interior handle is the one that is frayed. Think might have to get a second person to 'manipulate' the door handle whilst i try and adjust the tension of the little one.

Yes. When you get it open next time, just remove it. You can always bungy cord your door shut. I did once :D

1 hour ago, DJMadness29 said:

Awesome. I'll get one ordered.

I don't think I'd get away with removing the lock round my way, I'd end up with a burnt out car. 

Thanks again for your help. It's muchly appreciated. 

I'm from Stoke :D

You'll be fine haha

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, DJMadness29 said:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. It started working that one time but now will not budge. No matter what persuasion I give it, its not happening.

Going to take a sledgehammer to it soon!!

Keep going. Next time it's open, DO NOT CLOSE IT.

38 minutes ago, DJMadness29 said:

Thats my plan. It just hasnt happened since it did it 2 weeks ago or whenever it was

Continue bashing as I suggested earlier. There is an alternative which is the main Bowden cable is ****ed. I've seen the entire mechanisms seize on very rare occasions. I'm pretty certain that I'm right though. Get the old mechanism off and a new one on. I would even bungee the door if need. 

• 1 month later...

So, Thought I'd have a look at this again last thursday. 

Turns out there's a really easy way to open it.

20160617_144222.jpg

Not the best picture but the shiney bit in the middle is a little lever. If you get a screwdriver under it and lift the door opens.

I needed to replace the bowden cable from interior handle to lock mechanism too but now good as new.

I have taken photos as I was doing it so I might do a how to on it too if I get 5 minutes.

Thought it might be something to do with the Bowden cable, almost always is, usually the tension is off. Never seen one damaged though or broken before.