JoeyEunos's SDI Beater.

JoeyEunos

The little  Lupo is running well after her service.

Meanwhile I have become bored again/developed an itchy trigger finger... Today I bought her a new stable mate in the form of a cheap/big/old and incredibly retro Volvo 940 turbo estate.

41721411452_99991bb906_k.jpgSAM_6328 by

26894514227_ac57e84fda_k.jpgSAM_6339 (2) by

Edited by JoeyEunos

• 7 months later...

Whoops, long time without updates here. 

The Lupo continues to trundle to work and back piloted by Mrs Eunos's and seems happy in it's state of semi-retirement only covering circa 6k miles a year.  Nothing to report good or bad really...

Meanwhile I still have the ancient Volvo turbobrick and Golf SDI to keep me out of trouble.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

What you need is a nice AUM conversion for something.

Sounds like what you need is someone who wants an AUM, unfortunately at present that person isn't me, + BAM is clearly the correct choice for conversions 😉 

* I'm reading between  the lines and assuming you're still converting Aldi TT's to run on derv,  presumably in some kind of missguided quest to make one of the dullest 'sports cars'  of the last 50 years even more miserable to drive?*

Either way, I shall ask around and keep an ear to the ground should anyone need one chief.

I do need someone to buy the AUM, far better than a bam, spools up quicker and gives you more simplistic useable power*

Better for a Lupo or a MK2 due to having an 02j box bolted to it.

I am playing about with a cheap TT from scumtree but I'm not making it a diesel, keeping things petrol.

The last TDI one wasn't about creating a sporty car, it was all about something economical and nice inside for daily duties.

* Opinions may change depending on what I am selling this week.

2 hours ago, JoeyEunos said:

* I'm reading between  the lines and assuming you're still converting Aldi TT's to run on derv,  presumably in some kind of missguided quest to make one of the dullest 'sports cars'  of the last 50 years even more miserable to drive?*

That did make me laugh... :)

Is there any money in doing conversions these days? When I worked out the hourly rate, it works out better to be on income support! Like £3 an hour... hobby maybe, but as a living?

As mentioned these days the Lupo seems to very rarely go wrong and this fun little thread has died a death as a result, ho hum, finally I have a chance to do a proper post here!

In short the lock barrel did VAG things and shat itself, wife had been complaining about it for weeks, this morning I did a mend and won myself some goodwill in the process hopefully.

I checked the lock out for myself, she was right, the key literally just spun in the barrel, not good. First things first, popped the cap off to reveal the t20 torx screw and slackened it off...

46561690552_9fcd412e49_o.jpg 

Lock removed...

46561689732_91a2dc084b_o.jpg 

No immediate problems apparent...

46561688732_6a877b86ca_o.jpg 

Lock stripped down...

32739592518_a0764f8034_o.jpg

Obvious problem is obvious...

32739589748_e523b5c546_o.jpg 

Cheap VW lock repair kit courtesy of Ebay included all the parts required…

46613766631_d65cea51d2_o.jpg 

And one working/reassembled lock...

46613764201_4e4fb4b2cc_o.jpg 

Despite being a bit fiddly the whole job took less than 30 minutes, most of that was spent getting tools out and putting them away again. The best part of the whole fiasco is that the China Bay repair kit only cost £2.19p, less than the cost of a pint of beer and yet seems to be made from reasonably robust materials, I suppose time will tell but for now it's fixed and that's the main thing.

Edited by JoeyEunos

• 1 month later...

More Lupo fun today.

The little red tractor scraped a pass on it's MOT this Wednesday but only just :-|  My tester's an understanding chap, so whilst he was prepared to pass it he did say the rear offside brake wanted looking at and that the front two weren't to hot either. The conversation went along the lines of "I'll pass and advise today but sort those ****ing brakes out"

I had a look over the car that afternoon and from what I could see through the steel rims the front pads and discs looked worn and the rear offside wheel, whilst fine on the handbrake didn't do much at all under regular breaking leading me to suspect a seized or leaking brake cylinder. 

Fight fire with fire...

47207385952_6509f24bc2_o.jpgSAM_7680 by

Bits for small VAG cars of this era seem to be incredibly cheap these days, the bill for the lot in the picture (Ignoring my new pressure bleeder and impact driver) was as follows...

£20- Mintex discs (Ebay)

£12-QH brake pads (Local factor)

£12- Pagid non ABS brake cylinder (Ebay)

£10- 1.5l of Dot 4 and a tin of brake cleaner (ECP)

First up was front discs and pads, turns out they actually had plenty of meat left on them! Serves me right for being lazy and squinting through the gaps in the steel wheel instead of taking it off and looking properly like any normal person would do. Either way I stripped both sides down then cleaned and greased them for the craic...

33383514058_43791aa3c8_o.jpgSAM_7686 by

The new discs and pads can go in the loft until they're needed. Next job, rear drum off. My new impact driver made short work of this, can't believe I've been battling on with regular screwdrivers for so many years...

47207384652_1c326ed9d8_o.jpgSAM_7690 by

Next step was to swap over the defective brake cylinder, old vs new...

33383513708_a3b2bbeb62_o.jpgSAM_7698 by

Finally the full breaking system got a good bleed through with my new Sealey pressure bleeder. Again, can't believe I didn't buy one of these years ago as they make the job so much easier. Sure beats pumping the pedal.

The good news is that the brakes feel much sharper, the bad news is I feel like I've been hit by a roadside bomb. At least the brakes are sorted but I'm starting to admit to myself I'm getting way too old for this kind of carry on.

Edited by JoeyEunos

43 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Cool. There are viruses going round... 

It's not that unfortunately, my backs properly ****ed.

I served as an apprentice diesel fitter for Leyland-Daf many moons ago and honestly believe three years of heavy goods work did for it, as a kind of delayed paypack it's only really started to kick in as I descend into middle age.

19 minutes ago, Rich said:

I'm swapping pd engines this weekend 

Rather you than me chief.

Tonight I'm reaching for the Cotes Du Rhone to stave off the aches :roflmao:

AJM.

Bubbling expansion and five litres H2O every thirty forty mile run.

I've already done a HG and had to scrape out water jackets, radweld the block, just not investing any more time in it so engine out time.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, the Lupo has now trundled on to pastures new, it's been a great car for the last 3/4 years but times change and things move on.

I thought I'd pop back and say goodbye, weidersehen goodnight to all of you rather than just disappearing/stopping posting.

You've been a good bunch and I've had lots of fun here, take it easy all :)

The new clutch went on man! £30 NOS LUK clutch I'd bought on Ebay years ago, £150 fitted locally. Daft not to as it made a £100 scrapper a saleable/working car.

It's usually considered rude to ask about money, but given it's you Rich I'll make an exception ;)

I sold the car for £450 on 141K, new clutch, full years test, FSH and cambelt not due for another 8k. Could I have got more for it? Perhaps £50-£100 more, but I sold it to someone I like, didn't have to advertise it and also in doing so didn't have to deal with the Gumtree"Last price"/ "£300 cash tonight M8"/"Swap for a quad and a broken X-box M9" mouth-breathers so well worth it for a stress free life IMO.

Edited by JoeyEunos

Since most of the craic on this forum is car/cash based then it's always good to know.

For example the blue South Shields one.

£450 is a good price imo