JoeyEunos's SDI Beater.

JoeyEunos

On 15/05/2017 at 3:01 PM, Rich said:

you will learn how terrible mk4s are.

good chance to hone your skills

Late response to this (I hadn't spotted it).

Mk4's are in no way terrible :rolleyes:

I came to the Lupo after running a Mk4 1.4 Golf. I bought it for £600, absolutely nothing went wrong with it (Ever) and I sold it for £700 two years later. I found it to be utterly indestructible and frankly far superior to the Lupo in most ways hence my pining for another.

Edited by JoeyEunos

Many hours spent today removing a selector seal that had welded itself in situ.

SAM_5256_zpsljchx1a6.jpg

SAM_5254_zps9ymaou1k.jpg

Top tip to anyone thinking of having a go at this, think vary carefully before getting involved...

.I'm sure when it goes well this is an easy job, but when it goes wrong... What a pain!

1 hour ago, mattarosa said:

I was told pretty much every gearbox selector shaft seal leaks.

That was certainly the message the VW techs relayed to me, that and pretty much half of all the ones they've removed have reulted in selector shaft damage and necessitated gearbox removal/opening to replace.

By that stage it was too late, I'd punctured the old seal so it was going to have to be removed, none the less I wish I'd spoken to them first.

Ah well, job jobbed and all's well that ends well eh?

It will be the first and last one I'm ever doing that's for sure <_<

With hindsight if there's a slight weep then better just to wipe off/top up the oil occasionally.

Mine used to leave a tiny drip on my drive once fornight or so, nothing really. If I'd known the danger of scoring the shaft and what's involved to put that right, or had any idea of what a pain the seal would be to remove I wouldn't have bothered.

The good news is, I've just been and had another look under the car this morning with a mirror/torch and both the shaft and gearbox are bone dry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Factory head unit re-installed, this time coupled with an OE cd player bought for the princely sum of £5 from a local breaker car.

35694256600_556083e3e1_b.jpgSAM_5587 by

And then a wash and wax.

36083915705_3fe9f1f1b8_b.jpgSAM_5560 by

followed by the same tratment for the rest of the fleet :)

35243470914_8bd2eac356_b.jpgSAM_5567 by

Edited by JoeyEunos

• 1 month later...

Power steering pump replaced this morning.

Troubles began on Friday with Mrs Eunos reporting a terrible grinding noise coming from the engine bay. She wasn't kidding, the car sounded like a bag of nails <_< Que investigation and the culprit was tracked down to PAS pump bearings gone West.

Bit of a back story to this one ;) The used pump I fitted as a replacement actually comes from a Lupo that once belonged to a prominent CL member and mod.  I'd spotted the car being broken some months back on one of the Facebook groups, recognised the reg from a build thread here, bought the pump and had it posted more as a curio than anything else :rolleyes:Turned out to be a good move.

@Skezza, you'll be pleased to hear (Hopefully) that part of your old car now lives on in our little tractor. The pump works well and is quiet as a mouse.

RE pump replacement, it turns out it's a bit of a pig on the SDI models and in the end I needed to remove the bumper and arch liners just to get access :ph34r:

36061658823_d50df3b3b8_b.jpgSAM_5652 by

Edited by JoeyEunos

28 minutes ago, Skezza said:

Glad to hear :) I changed the fluid a few times so hopefully it it's in better condition than others. 

Seems like a gudun fella, as I mentioned it's virtually silent compared with the pump it replaced.

As a matter of president I'm going to disconnedt the low pressure hose next weekend, drop the contents then fill with fresh fluid.

I'm ashamed to admit I had to put the old stuff back in today (Albeit filtered through an old T-shirt)  on the basis of VW parts/TPS being closed and 'her indoors' needing the car for work this week.

• 2 months later...

That looks like glue was used, but VW specifically recommend not to use glue? I'd have to check ELSA but I'm sure they recommended not using any kind of sealant the last time I looked.

Which means it might be aftermarket.

On 06/11/2017 at 9:48 AM, Skezza said:

That looks like glue was used, but VW specifically recommend not to use glue? I'd have to check ELSA but I'm sure they recommended not using any kind of sealant the last time I looked.

Which means it might be aftermarket.

Perhaps they don't recommend using glue when replacing the gasket but that doesn't necessarily mean the factory didn't glue/bond them in the first time round...

Probably makes life eaier on a production line for the robots to just whack the covers on without a loose gasket flapping around, but who knows? Certainly looked original and was far too neat  to have been done by hand.

RE Elsa, I bought  one of the 3xCD sets from Ebay but getting it installed on my Windows 10 OS desktop is like trying to nail jelly to a cieling, gave up in the end :o

• 1 month later...

Long time without updates here...

Suffice to say the selector shaft oil seal and also the rocker cover gasket were both worthwhile as the drive remains spotless. The Lupo is still trundling around and also starting/running without any dramas despite the recent cold snap, same goes for the Golf SDI.

The only real news on the car front is that I've added another to the fleet, this time a 2004 Passat TDi 130 Highline on 136k... The car has some standard old car  issues that I'm working through at present, the intention is that it will serve as a more luxurious family barge for weekend trips etc whilst the Golf and Lupo SDI's will continue to be used as hacks for the weekly grind ;) It's a very comfortable/lovely place to be with heated leather seats, aircon, electric everything etc. It feels fairly fast when compared to the week-day NA dervs yet still manages to deliver 50+ mpg :o

It really is lovely to drive and it's easy to see how people managed to cover big miles in these in relative comfort...

38883427802_717afc3f5e_b.jpgSAM_6011 by

Edited by JoeyEunos

Yup, 'tis a lovely cosy/grown up place to be compared with the rattly base spec SDI's. The Passats seem to be stupidly cheap to buy now, maybe due to the bad press older diesels are getting at present?

Either way, over the last few weekends I've fitted a new radiator and CTS, cleared codes, also fan switch sensor and so far (Touch would) about 500 miles deep with no more engine warning lights or issues, just a case of cleaning the plenum drains, a good service and general tidying up now.

I'd initially bought it to repair to sell, but it's so rare to find one these days without the usual taxi mileage and rotten front wings, I'm going to admit I've become slightly smitten with it and settled myself it's a 'keeper' :rolleyes:

if you're keeping it, whip the arch liners out and clean.

find and clean all drain holes.

paint oil inside the doors.

they're cheap because maintenance is often more than the car is worth.

the Passat b6 is a bigger golf like the before.

clearly they spent more on production of the b5 series.

Edited by Rich

1 hour ago, Rich said:

if you're keeping it, whip the arch liners out and clean.

find and clean all drain holes.

paint oil inside the doors.

they're cheap because maintenance is often more than the car is worth.

the Passat b6 is a bigger golf like the before.

clearly they spent more on production of the b5 series.

Agreed on the maintenance costs, although I looked at it on the basis that aside from possibly more expensive/complicated arms/drop links set up etc they share the same issues as the derv Mk4 Golfs, ie DMF and turbo woes, I've already got a Golf so why not try a Passat too? (That was my thinking at least)

I've never been tempted by the B6's, as you say just a big Golf, also DPF's added to the mix and the 2.0 TDi engines don't seem to be nearly as strong as the earlier 1.9's.

Good advice RE drain holes/doors/arches etc. Apparently the plenum drains block easily and flood the passenger footwell causing loads of jip inc CCM niggles etc <_< For the time being it lives under the carport (The MX5's old home) and as such doesn't really get wet, none the less I'm on it ;)

I've already re-sealed the doors with a decent slub of silicone all round, the plan is after removing the battery and clearing all the drains the doors will be filled with Dynax S50, inner wing areas get an extra layer of paint (Usually Aldi's own brand chip resistant metal paint brushed on TBH) followed Dynax UB, I like to remove the wings completely and clean all round the mounting areas too for good measure. This should be standard practice for anyone buying VAG stuff of that era, I've done this a few times now on different cars and actually find it a pretty satisfying job....

27271550319_9617616580_b.jpgSAM_5353 by

38337592354_fb19b29926_b.jpgSAM_5367 by

24186991717_ce13c35f19_b.jpgSAM_5377 by

Edited by JoeyEunos

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Rich said:

I celebrated the weekend by doing a gearbox for someone.

it was fun with no beers or sausage. :(

More fool you for not making it clear that beer/ weird imported sausage are crucial for a smooth job.

Only got yourself to blame.