JoeyEunos's SDI Beater.

JoeyEunos

11 minutes ago, Rich said:

I'm on radio two these days . . . . . . . . .

I would be but I can't stand Vanessa feltz and Jeremy vine just talks about crap but apart from that it's my radio of choice 

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

I'm on radio two these days . . . . . . . . .

I'm assuming you mean you listen to radio two rather than literally being on radio two (If I've got this wrong then by all means give me nudge and I'll tune in when you're next on) :P

Joking aside, radio two is slightly trendier than radio four, but that still amounts to a kind of 'tallest dwarf award', and for the most part you should still be at least moderately embarrassed ;)

• 1 month later...

A couple of months have passed since my last update on the basis that frankly I've been so busy with work and family I haven't had much time  for the Lupo, none the less this morning I was at long last given the green light to 'play cars' once again. This time a couple more bothersome issues have been addressed, namely clunky /tired rear suspension and squeeky drum brakes -_-

RE the planned rear suspension refresh, I'd been gathering parts for a couple of weeks to complete the task, first up were a pair of mega-low milleage OEM shocks sourced very cheaply from a car with front end damage. The shocks themselves had covered a mere 36k which was verivied using the government MOT check tool (I LOVE that website), much fresher than my 127k originals.

Last weekend the shocks were given a check over for leaks and a rub back before being hung on the line for paint...

5y99vm.jpg

The paint in question being Simoniz tough black, I've used this stuff many times in the past and found it to provide a decent finish and  exactly as the name suggests once cured it's very resistant to stone chips and abrasion.

a4akr7.jpg

Slowly but surely throughout last week all of the extra parephernalia turned up until I had everything required to freshen up my rear end (Ooo err). Shocks, rubber mounting 'bearings' coupled with bottom eyelet bolts and locking nuts from VW and a pair of aftermarket Meyle bumpstops.

2yyrwyb.jpg

With the wheels off in preparation to fit this lot it seemed as good a time as any to strip down the rear brakes for a service. I've been plagued by an annoying screetch whenever the brake pedal is released, something had to be done! Once the rear drums were off it became clear that everything in there was filthy. the brake cleaner came out and everything was given a good blasting...

73fndj.jpg

Everything was cleaned up and all moving parts were given a liberal coating of high-temp grease.

sdfn8p.jpg

After this the new rubbers/bumpstops/bolts and shocks were isntalled. Unfortunately there are no pics of this process, TBH once I'd started I just wanted to get stuck in ^_^ Needless to say it all went smoothly, heres a quick snap of the freshly rust proofed beam sporting it's new(ish) suspension...

15d9klw.jpg

I'm pleased to report that my brakes no longer squeak and my rear end has finally stopped clunking, the fact that the car now feels much less boat like and much firmer is an added bonus.

8 hours ago, mattarosa said:

Very nice, looks like you're missing the plastic cup that's goes with your list of parts, it pushes onto the bump stop and hangs downs

Thanks Matt :) Hmmm, it's quite possible I'm missing bits, although I did recycle many parts of the old set up, ie metal 'saucer' bits (Top and bottom) etc... Are you referring to the tubular plastic 'sheathes' that fit on the bottom of the bumpstops to prevent ingress of road muck etc?

7 hours ago, weslangdon said:

good to see such a thorough restoration

Many thanks chap ^_^ I'm merely knocking rough edges off and old duffer... This car had reached a crossroads by the time I got it IMO and needed to be 'saved' and put back into useful service ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Winter service completed this morning including engine oil/filter, gearbox oil check/top up, coolant check and general 'once over' in preparation for the colder months arriving.

For gearbox check/top ups I've moved on from the funnel and hose method, I've now spalshed out on one of the Sealey 1l mini-pumps...https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-TP6804-Multi-Purpose-Mini-Pump/dp/B004746H02

1627gif.jpg

They can be had for as little as £12 on the bay of E and make the job so much easier. No need to use the 1l container that the pump comes with, the mechanism twists right off and fits the top of most generic 1l oil containers (VW's own G50 in this case). FWIW the oil level was spot on and I'm now fairly satisfied that we're good to go for another 6 months. On to the main oil change and out came the trusty Pela 6000.

sb6amd.jpg

All was done and dusted in just over an hour despite my leisurely pace althought one slight niggle came about when testing the coolant :( My multimeter gives my a DC voltage reading of 0.07 meaning it could probably do with a change...

• 5 months later...

Wow, long time no update on this thread...

Probably about time I explained myself eh? There's no easy way to say this, basically I've bought a Ford :ph34r:

2cd7ceq.jpg

In my defence it was bought for stupid money on the basis of a persistent overheating issue. Also, I'd got to a point where having covered nearly 15k in the Lupo over the course of the last year, it was really starting to grind on me, I'm 6,1" and TBH it was just a little cramped....

Anyhow, fast forward to present, a £15 thermostat housing and second hand expansion tank and the Fiesta is running well, in fact I'm now 2k miles deep. With a boggo standard chain engine (Duratec 1.3) there's relatively little to go wrong, what's more, I actually like it.

The good news is that the SDI has stayed in the family, I simply didn't want to move it on! Mrs Eunos has inherited it and as such it's now in semi-retirement (She uses it to travel the 5 miles or so to her work and back coupled with the occasional shopping trip) :)

Edited by JoeyEunos

This is borderline acceptable joey! Having said that I either use my audi as a van or a van work give me for work. That's a ford transit connect, it's a long wheel base, skezza will vouch as nice as it looks it's Barry white, it's cheap inside despite the dab radio, air con, cruise control, heated seats and mirrors and front screen, yes alright it's the top spec but my god the plastics are so cheap! And it's got no room and it's got no torque and it's got no steering lock and if anything ever runs into the back of me "all that stuff is replacing your spine" is how skezza phrased it! But shouldn't moan it is free :) oh and worst of all the seats play hell with my back :D

@mattarosa difference in build quality is clear, although I knew what to expect having at one point owned a Ford Ka -_-

TBCH, and although this probably isn't a popular sentiment round these parts, I noticed a huge difference in build quality when moving from my old Mk4 Golf to the Lupo last year so it feels as though I'm in a race to the bottom.

We'll see what the future holds. It's a great time/climate for buying used cars at the moment so anything could happen in the forthcoming months ;)

1 hour ago, Rich said:

sell fiesta/profit, use SDI.

find a mk4 tdi cheaply.

I'd actually been thinking of doing just that, but with a Mk4 SDI rather than TDI...

I don't think the Golf SDI's had DMF fitted? Also the lack of turbo makes them a safer bet (You know how I feel about this already)

The only issue really is every one I look at is plagued by rusty front wings, replacing them and also doing a cambelt change makes them unviable from an economical perspective when compared with the Festa -_-

wings....

I bought a perfectly good front black golf mk4 wing from backworth last week, it was a tenner.

stop making excuses, as for the turbo, live a little

• 1 month later...

And wait for it.....

3wojl.jpg

Fiesta is long gone (I lasted 12 weeks with it and moved it on to pastures new) I'm now the slightly apprehensive owner of a late Mk4 Golf in SDI flavour :)

A few rough edges to knock off, but on the whole I feel much happier to be back in VAG-land after my brief foray into ford land.

From here on in I'll try to keep my posts in this thread 'on topic' and Lupo based ;)

Edited by JoeyEunos
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rich said:

I have loads of mk4 **** when you're after stuff.

Good craic.

I wish I'd known, I've just bought 8 Avus2 wheels to make a good set, and also 4 rust free wings in Reflex Silver over the weekend.