JoeyEunos's SDI Beater.

JoeyEunos

Thanks ;) To be honest it strikes me that having bought an SDi on the basis of the potential longevity of the simple diesel engine, letting a failing a failing shell end play would defeat the object! Pretty easy to nip these little niggles in the bud in the early stages, but if left to their own devices they could have caused a big headache a few years down the line.

In other positive news I've recorded my first 70MPG+ tank of fuel B) 22l of fuel (I measure milage from a brimmed tank to the quarter tank marker), 347 miles travelled= 71.7MPG!!!!

To be fair I've been recording MPG since I bought the car and have never had less than 65MPG out of her, but 70+ has proved elusive (Until now) despite running at least 8 tanks full so far.

Interisting week Lupo wise (By interesting I mean stressful) :o

On Thursday my exhaust completely let go towards the back end of the cat and the two pipes completely came apart in a catastrophic fashion... The centre section is still being held in place by the hangers and the car seems safe to use in the interim, however my ears are ringing...

TBH the rest of the exhaust looked decidedly ropey and was blowing in multiple places, to give the little car credit it chose to go 7 hours befor Eurocarparts 30% off sale ended so the whole thing was timed well :rolleyes: I now have a Klarius silencer and mid section coupled with a React replacement cat en route so once they turn up I'll have an entrely new exhaust system from the manifold back for just a smidge over £150, not too bad IMO.

To compound issues even further I've been noticing an ugly sounding whine for a week or so now, I did worry it might be the 'box but noticed it in neutral and at standstill, I'm pretty sure it's the power steering pump causing the noise at this stage. I'm probably going to have to stump for a 'good' used steering pump but before starting the search I though I may as well change the fluid as the stuff in there's likely ancient...

Picked up the correct fluid at the dealers this morning...

33kadj4.jpg

Trusty turkey baster came out and the majority of the old stuff was syphoned out, probably should have given the system a 'full' drain, but time was short this morning...

33jhlk9.jpg

In the end I managed to get half a litre in, I'll probably repeat the process with the remainder of the bottle next week. FWIW I'm not particularly optimistic about this making much of an improvement, time will tell and defo worth a try before starting to replace things IMO!

Edited by JoeyEunos

To give the system the full drain, get yourself a cheap 12v extractor from eBay. I use it for oil changes, power steering fluid, brake fluid, everything really. It's great.

^I'm actually already in possession of a Pela 6000 pump (I also use this for oil changes ;)) so I might well give that a go... TBH though part of me sort of me likes the idea of slowly weaning the car onto the new fluid half a litre at a time to give the system time to adjust, silly I know :rolleyes: As you can see, the stuff that's coming out of there is BLACK!

In other news, tomorrow's exhaust day... I'm replacing the full exhaust system from the manifold back, that includes cat/mid section/silencer, thank God it was cheap. Frankly I would have gone down the welding route given it's split at the cat were it not for the fact that A. The rest of the exhaust is ropey as hell, attracting advisories on the MOT even two years back, and B. I can't weld, nor do I have access to welding devices, or anyone who can weld for that mater.

I've rationalised the expense of this on the basis that, had my Lupo rolled off the production line two weeks earlier it would be costing me an extra £170 a year to tax....My new sytem in total came to a smidge under £150, so on that basis it's worth doing, EuroCarParts had a 30% sale ending conveniently on the day that it went and the timing was right. I probably should have paid £250-£300 for a stainless system from one of the local 'Powerflow' outlets and let them do the work, but what can I say, I must be a glutton for punishment.

Wish me luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Update time :) The exhaust went on without issue and actually fitted really well (Hat's off to you Mr Klarius!) and so my loop's now rocking an entirely new system from the manifold back.

Meanwhile, my attention turned to wheels... I'd picked up a set of cheap G60 wheels and tried them on for size, TBH the seem a bit blingy/big for my tastes... These may well end up on the classifieds shortly so watch this space ;)

u9fs9.jpg

Attention was turned to my standard wheels...

2tst0.jpg

After a quick rub with some 120 grit and several coats of Hammerite smooth silver...

xcuk5v.jpg

I had a spare set of G60 hub caps, they seem to fit the little 13" wheels just as well as their larger cousins.

wugzuw.jpg

All done and looking good...

2w7pk5g.jpg

And closer...

23ve2w7.jpg

I'm really happy with the way these have turned out, they look infinitely better than the plastic trims and give the car a kind of retro/euro/utility look IMO. The G60 wheels, whilst nice, do look a little more aggressive, but the G60 caps coupled with standard 13's represents a great compromise :)

Edited by JoeyEunos

• 2 weeks later...

Right, time for another update :)

'Her indoors' gracefully showed me the green light this weekend to get cracking with some car stuff. First job was to go and salvage some parts from a Lupo being broken locally, first purchase, this lovely Kenwood head unit and wiring harness, bought for the princely sum of £15...

2hp236c.jpg

Initially I'd thought I'd be able to put up with the standard tape deck/radio, but no cigar... It's great to be able to play CD's in the car after months of listening to Radio 4.

Whilst picking over the carcass of said breaker I also spotted a pair of rear headrests, and in the right colour to boot! These were a complete bargain at just £2 and well worth having IMO...

33ehov4.jpg

Next up, changing the gearbox oil <_< I'd previously topped up the level with genuine VW 'G50' gear oil (In spite of VW's parts department insisting that their 'G60' oil was the one to use) and after neary a thousand miles all seemed well so I decided it was time to go the whole hog and do a complete drain and refill.

Gearbox drain in full swing...

166gck7.jpg

I took a small sample of the oil that came out, it looked pretty manky. God only knows where Volkswagen get their 'Lifetime fill' theory from :ph34r: As you can see this stuff was black as tar and well past it's best...

1o93td.jpg

Multiple bottles of fresh 'G50' gear oil ready to go in...

124k1tx.jpg

A length of garden hose with a funel at one end made short work of the job and in the end the box took a smidge under three litres. The 'G50' gear oil represented a fairly extravagant purchase, at just over £17 a litre this stiff isn't cheap :o

I could have done this for less than half the price with some decent 80W80 or 75W90 from a local factors or online, but using the vintage VW stuff gives me confidence that the 'yellow metals' in the 'box will be safe. It's also worth mentioning that the 'G50' oil is fully synthetic where as many of the off the shelf alsternatives are, at least in part part, mineral oils. That aside, oils of the same weight can vary in terms of viscosity, see the example below (These figures are from some VOA's they ran at tdiclub.com )...

(Manual Tranny Fluids)
16.7 = Motul MOTYLGEAR 75-90 GL-4/-5
15.6 = VW G50/G51 GL-4
15.6 = Redline MT-90 75-90 GL-4
15.2 = Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W-90 GL-5
15.2 = Motul Gear 300 75-90 GL-4/-5
15.0 = Elf Tranself Synthese FE 75-90 GL-4/-5
14.9 = AMSOIL AGL 80W-90 GL-5
13.8 = Amsoil MTG 75-90 GL-4
10.6 = Redline MTL 70-80 GL-4
9.6 = AMSOIL MTF Synchromesh Trans fluid (GM/Chrysler) None
9.08 = Penzoil Synchromesh trans fluid None
7.5 = Redline D4 ATF Dexron III / Mercon / API GL-4
6.5 = VW G-052-171-A2 None
6.38 = VW G-055-726-A2 None
6.3 = VW G52 (part numbers G052726A2 / G05272601) None

Anyhow, all of this gear oil pondering has become an all consuming pass time and quite boring (Even to me!) Suffice to say the gearchange feels nice after the drain and fill, and from this point on I'm never going to mention gearboxes or the oils that go in them (Unless mine blows up shortly, at which point I'll be warning eveyone about the perils of 'G50') ;)

After all of the dirty work was done I finished up by treating her to a quick wash and wax, happy days :P

59tz7r.jpg

Rich is more of a 'frame of mind' than an actual person  ;)

I'm happy to confirm Rich is a stand up guy and alot like Yoda of Star Wars fame, only in a kind of Lupo/VW format. There's not much he doesn't know, times when I find myself hunched over my increasingly ropey car perplexed as to how to fix whatever's gone wrong 'this time', I often find myself thinking 'WWRD'? (What would Rich do?) :P

After spending the weekend lavishing attention on my beater it thanked me on Monday morning by doing this...

245adsw.jpg

Son of a bitch :ph34r: Some desperate Ebay searching and I was horrified to find that Lupo manual winders seem to be priced between £10-20 each :o Plainly that's not good enough, so I chanced my hand with a set of these generic VW aftermarket jobbies .... Worth a shot at £1.50 and allegedly made in Germany, they also come with a 12 month warranty http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181382661995?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here they are in all of their glory...

2cgol20.jpg

And whadayaknow, they actually fit, and fit well...

rk547t.jpg

Granted, they're black and the original ones were grey, but the interior is two tone anyway with the top half of the dash being black in colour so they work and don't look untidy, and for £1.50 a piece the price was right ;) 

For all who care/are interested let it be known that Mk2 Golf and Jetta manual winders will fit the Lupo mechanism!

Edited by JoeyEunos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeyEunos said:

rk547t.jpg

Good job on the winders!

Your mirror adjusting thing is not installed correctly. The "knob" should come out the hole in the red plastic cover while the circular plastic stays behind the cover! Just so you keep on mending things :P

• Like 1

On 04/08/2016 at 11:38 AM, JoeyEunos said:

After spending the weekend lavishing attention on my beater it thanked me on Monday morning by doing this...

245adsw.jpg

Son of a bitch :ph34r: Some desperate Ebay searching and I was horrified to find that Lupo manual winders seem to be priced between £10-20 each :o Plainly that's not good enough, so I chanced my hand with a set of these generic VW aftermarket jobbies .... Worth a shot at £1.50 and allegedly made in Germany, they also come with a 12 month warranty http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181382661995?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here they are in all of their glory...

2cgol20.jpg

And whadayaknow, they actually fit, and fit well...

rk547t.jpg

Granted, they're black and the original ones were grey, but the interior is two tone anyway with the top half of the dash being black in colour so they work and don't look untidy, and for £1.50 a piece the price was right ;) 

For all who care/are interested let it be known that Mk2 Golf and Jetta manual winders will fit the Lupo mechanism!

I got the same wipers for my mk2f polo, lasted long enough. At the price I was never bothered if they broke.

A day off work meant a slow morning at cassa Eunos today, so I thought I'd have a crack at knocking a few more rough edges off the little Lupo B)

Having dealt with the front wings and arch liners pretty much straight away on this car it had been concerning me slightly that I'd as of yet not removed the rear arch liners for a look,  I'd also spotted some corrosion developing on the rear beam -_- I'd considered having a beam from a breaker car blasted and powdercoated but in the end decided given the age of the little VW it probably wouldn't be economically viable to do so ... None the less, something needed to be done and today was the day to do it!

Rear arch liners removed to reveal plenty of muck but no rust....

21e6bn.jpg

The whole area was then given a thorough going over and degrease, then rear beam was then treated to a  a vigorous wire brushing. Luckily the corrosion present turned out to be merely surface/cosmetic stuff, here's a pic taken midway through the process...

2empnah.jpg

I decided to treat it with Bilthambers's Dynax UB followed by Dinitrol's 4941 underseal. Ideally I'd have liked to convert any rust left first but time was short and besides, the Dynax UB is formulated to halt/kill existing corrosion so I was confident it would do the job. I find the Dinitrol to be slightly tougher/harder wearing than the Bilthamber underseal hence topping off with that as the final coat.

NB I already had both of these hanging around from previous rust prevention sessions with the Mazda....

10ekbo1.jpg

In full swing with the Dynax UB...

331g3ux.jpg

And a final shot showing the inner arches cleaned up and a top coat of Dinitrol 4941 applied to the beam (Note the rubber inspection 'bung' towards the front end of the inner arch area, perfect for the injection of cavity wax etc)....

25gs377.jpg

Whilst being a but grubby the rear arches were no-where near as bad as the mud traps I found at the front end of the car, either way, they're clean now and that can only be a good thing! Also, having properly treated the beam I'm now confident it will be good for many years to come!

Edited by JoeyEunos
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, mattarosa said:

"for curious minds" ;) the rear arches wont be as bad as the front, bear in mind arosas don't even come with rear arch liners! I installed mine from a lupo.

Hmm, interesting.... Were it not for the road noise issue I'd probably do away with mine, they don't really attach to anything at the top and whilst they perhaps protect things a bit they do allow muck in to get trapped an the inner lip of the rear arch <_< Cleaning this stuff out would probably be less of a faff with no liner at all I recon.

The curious minds was a reference to radio 4 btw, Im an avid listen of the shipping forecast before work in a morning see. and that's what I thought but its really not to bad, hosepipe on jet and shove it in facing back towards you, what could possibly go wrong here?, and it tends to blast it out. Are yours the foamy or the solid ones?

Ahhh, the radio 4 reference was a little too cryptic for me to pick up on after a long day :) I'm a big radio 4 fan too, much to the amusement of my friends, much scorn and ridicule.

RE the arch liners, they're the 'foamy' type, very maleable. Don't get me wrong, it's not difficult to clean the lip with them installed, I just cant help but feel they could've been designed better as they don't do that good of a job keeping road muck/salt out of the inner arch at all. Very much a kind of 'niether nowt nor summat' piece of kit IMO.