Lupo 3L question :)

iwcham1979

Oh crap. Filling the hydraulic system with anything other than VAG's own G004000 is bad news. Good luck flushing that out.

The hydraulic pump should be disconnected, and the accumulator slackened to release the fluid back to the filler tank before checking the level. The mechanic definitely over filled it, and the excess fluid will be forced out of the filler cap.

The wrong hydraulic level and the bad accumulator will make the car lose drive, but it may restart after switching the ignition switch on and off. You can do this carefully while driving, but make sure you put the shift lever into N.

Always check the fluid level, accumulator, fault codes and gearbox basic settings in that order when you have problems. 

Also check the intake pipes to make sure they don't leak boost. It helps to keep the engine clean, as a leak often shows up by blowing out oil vapour from the crankcase/cam cover breather.

The gearbox itself is just like any other manual Lupo gearbox, only the gears and ratios are unique to the 3L. It is as simple to rebuild as any other Lupo gearbox, only the parts are more expensive. I spent £1400 rebuilding mine when it stripped 5th gear. Those 2 gears alone cost around £600.

Guys, tnx a lot. The car is now being repaired. The turbo, egr and maf were dirty and clogged, nothing more. The mechanic ordered a set of seals for hydraulic system, and i bought new accumulator. I didnt buy OEM oil, but Febi Bilstein oil of correct spec, that is VW G 004 000 M2, so i guess all is gonna be fine.  

Btw, the car has no fog lights, so i was wondering whether it would be difficult to retrofit from Lupo 3L that has them. Do you by any chance know the part numbers for the plastic covers and fog lights? My idea is to retrofit Morimoto projectors in headlights and buy some 3000k xenons, and retrofit fog lights and fit in the 3000k xenon bulbs as well...

Good news. 

The covers are a minor issue with the retrofit. Unless you want an aftermarket switch, you will also need a new headlight switch with the double pull for rear and front foglights.

I should be able to take a look later and see what you need, along with part numbers. 

• Like 1

Sweet. I dont want aftermarket switch. I think I even have wires ready. that i can see when i pry open the existing covers :)  The headlight switch i guess is the same as on any Lupo, so it wont be too dificult to find a second-hand one. 

Guys, went to pick up the car. New accumulator installed, seals changed, Hydraulics oil changed, turbo cleaned, went for a test drive, the car drove fine, but i forgot to ask whether the basic settings had been done, so i drove back to the garrage. The mechanic said "No", so he took his laptop, and started doing the settings. The Vag-Com was slow to respond, giving instructions to loosen some nut, then tighten it, the gearbox started making clicking sounds. He unhooked the laptop from the Obd connector, and the car wouldn't start. When in tiptronic he continued clicking and selecting gears.... When connected via obd it went to 1, 2, 3, had trouble selecting 4, and went on to 5, sometimes barely touching 4. The mechanic said the car needs to be raised and some nut disconnected so that the gearbox could go through the gears unobstructed and finish the settings. After doing so, the same thing happened. I tried to start the car when the car was lowered, the engine started, but immediately cut off. The mechanic was in the middle of servicing another car so he had to leave Lupo for tomorrow, "hoping" to find the solution. Any advice would be appreciated! I am now worried if any damage had been done and whether things had been seriously messed up...

Edited by iwcham1979

This is one of the big issues with 3L's. The lack of knowledge will always mean future owners have issues. What is VAG-COM actually telling you?

Something about loosening the gear actuator nut and tightening it... At first attempt he didn't loosen anything, just started the setting, then when he saw it was a no go, he lifted up the car removed the plastic cover beneath the engine, and completely removed the screw hoping that the car would finish the setting... Nothing new happened....

I found something about not switching off the ignition under any circumstances, after the basic setting had been interrupted, which was obviously done here....

http://www.lupo3lklub.dk/pdf/Grundjustering%20-.pdf

http://wiki.3lvrienden.nl/?page_id=413

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/5-Speed_Electronic_Manual_Transmission_%28085%29

It doesnt make sense to completely remove the screw and expect the car to "fake" the settings, right? It should be as the vagcom says, during the setting loosen and tighten, right?

Edited by iwcham1979

In a simple word YES but these things assume you have read and understood the VW training course as to what your doing and why

Your mecanic seems to have rushed in here without knowing what he was doing, hopefully he can recover it, if not it's off to VW.

Found another guide. I think it's nice and thorough as it can be... I am posting it here in case somebody with the similar issue comes to take a look... Well, i hope we can recover it, or else, the next threads i'll be searching and questions asking will be about retrofiting a manual gearbox :( The guy is a certified Skoda mechanic, so I hope he will not allow himself to lose a good name... I know the man since he has been servicing my Seat Altea and Skoda Octavia for years. He is a good one, but has obviously not immersed himself into this and done his homework. I am sending him all the links, in order to facilitate things... I hope he will consider me a helper rather than a nuissance. I doubt that VW would do any better. What they are good at is ordering new parts and changing all. I guess they would suggest changing the entire system...

http://cars-volkswagen.com/lupo/lupo-3l-gear-actuator-adaptation-lupo-vwforum-ro.html

Guys, it's all fine with Lupo. Basic settings problem was solved. It was a problem without a problem... The mechanic tried with the other laptop, and all went fine... The car shifts fine, changing the accumulator was a smart move, because now i can make 6 shifts in tiptronic mode, as opposed to only 1 shift.... I have bought Esp formula 507 oil and all the filters, Fuchs Sintofluid FE 75W for tranny and Skf timing belt set...  Now to solve this lol. Any ideas? Engine mounts look fine...

Edited by iwcham1979

The only thing that might pulse like that would be the electric pump for the hydraulics, I'd check the mounts for that first

if it's that that is running then you need to check the pressure switch that controls the pump don't think it should run that often there are values for the pressure in the guide I posted to this thread earlier.

No Carrera, you didnt read carefully. The pulsing or vibrations are caused by my lifting off the brake with the car in D and handbrake On. There is a bit of a strain on the engine as the car tries to drive away so the vibrations start. When i press the brake again, the vibrations stop. I know what you ment but it has nothing to do with the pump..

Guys, it was the hydraulic engine mount. It leaked... :) I ordered all the 3 mounts for perfect replacement... I did small service with quality filters and Mobil Formula ESP 507.00, changed gearbox oil, used Fuchs Titan Syntofluid FE 85w. It has a new battery and tyres. Lupo is now in top shape, finally.... Visually, it needs the bumpers painted, right front bumper cover replaced.....  Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

To test the accumulator, with ignition on and engine off, see how many gear changes in tiptronic mode you can make before the pump restarts. It should be at least two and can be up to seven. If less than two, change the accumulator, otherwise you risk not making a full change and damaging the gearbox.

The point at which gear changes are made is influenced by the accelerator position. The less accelerator the sooner (in terms of revs) the change up.

It's best not to give "advice" if you don't know much about the subject.

RAB