New member in West Yorkshire, not a Lupo owner just yet!

newse

Hi all, I currently have an 05 Impreza STI which I've owned for nearly 3 years and it's been an awesome car. 

My circumstances have now changed and I'm soon to be the owner of my first home so I'm seriously considering downsizing to something cheaper to run. I've been looking at Lupo GTI's and really like the look of them. The premium they cost over similar cars doesn't bother me too much. I know going from a 325bhp turbo car into a 125bhp n/a car is obviously going to be massively different but I want something cheaper to buy, maintain and the most important of all more economical but I want something still nippy and not something boring.

I've owned a Polo 6n in the past which I really liked but ended up being quite unreliable. Hoping if I do make the jump to a Lupo GTI I'll have better luck than I did with my last VW. 

Depends what kind of drving you do, gti's are not great motorway cars, they are low geared even with 6 speeds, even the youngest are over 10 years old, the 1.4 Tdi is a great Q car especially with a remap to 100bhp. 40+ MPG as a bonus would be worth considering for off the wall scarcity.

1 hour ago, newse said:

I've noticed a few of the import ones for sale but yeah as you say they're more expensive and more expensive to insure. Are they exactly the same as the UK cars?

I have a japanese GTi, I found the insurance very reasonable, although I have age on my side plus I'm just over the border in North Yorkshire which helps!

The japanese spec is virtually the same as the UK cars, except they all have air-con, darkened rear glass and curtain air-bags.