Stretched tyres for aluline turbines

gaza tomlinson

Stretch will be out of fashion soon anyway as it so last decade. Squeezing fatter tyres on rims will be all the rage again soon like when i was young, having 205 60 13 tyres on your lupo will be the in thing, well i'm going to be ahead of the curve at least for a while ...:lol: here's hoping at least.

I have some 7 x 14 revolution RFX, they will get 195 55 14 .

I have some 7 x 15 team dynamics pro race 3 they have 195 50 15.

I have some 8 x 14 banded and they are just silly.

17 hours ago, Sausage said:

Stretch will be out of fashion soon anyway as it so last decade. Squeezing fatter tyres on rims will be all the rage again soon like when i was young, having 205 60 13 tyres on your lupo will be the in thing, well i'm going to be ahead of the curve at least for a while ...:lol: here's hoping at least.

I have some 7 x 14 revolution RFX, they will get 195 55 14 .

I have some 7 x 15 team dynamics pro race 3 they have 195 50 15.

I have some 8 x 14 banded and they are just silly.

I don't really understand how 'stretched' was ever in fashion, in the first place tbh. Worsens handling, wears tyres out quicker, more likely to damage your rims if you clip a curb, more likely to have a serious tyre failure if you hit a pothole or whatever. There's literally no benefits other than "my car luks wikkid innit bruv"

Put the right size tyres on the right rims imo.

I don't really understand how 'stretched' was ever in fashion, in the first place tbh. Worsens handling, wears tyres out quicker, more likely to damage your rims if you clip a curb, more likely to have a serious tyre failure if you hit a pothole or whatever. There's literally no benefits other than "my car luks wikkid innit bruv"

Put the right size tyres on the right rims imo.

100% agree with that.

gaza, go here and muck around with the tyre sizes: http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=185&aspect=55&diameter=14&wheelwidth=6&offset=43&width2=175&aspect2=50&diameter2=15&wheelwidth2=7&offset2=30#content

• 2 weeks later...

Sigh.

The only contact your car has with the road is the tyres (unless you stick it on it's side or roll it obviously). That tends to make your tyres rather important safety items. Tyres are designed to operate safely and efficiently within certain conditions such as pressure and heat.

Part of the design is that tyre side walls operates within a temperature and pressure range and spends most of its time reasonably upright, among other things. The side walls of the tyre are what connects your tread to the wheel and are rather important parts of your rather important tyres.

Operating your tyres in a way that flexes or stresses the tyre wall excessively will generate a lot of heat and that isnt good for your rather important side walls or for the tyre in general because it will lead to premature failure of the tyres structure. And as tyres are rather important for keeping your car on the road, tyre failure is not a good thing. If you have a puncture and the tyre is already stressed with stretch then it isnt going to behave as designed in those conditions and will probably come off the rim resulting in a much more dangerous incident than just a blow out at speed.

Tyre manufacturers spend lots of money on R&D and destructive testing, they also tell you what size tyres for what size rims for pretty good reasons, safety being one of them.

Another problem with excessive stretch is having the rim lip exposed.

Imagine a scenario where you are driving like a numpty and find you have your inside wheels in the verge and it pulls you left onto the handy grass verge that just so happens not to to be festooned with trees, boulders or parked cars, your super duper driving skills will be to counter steer out of trouble yes? Great, but also being a numpty you over cook the correction and get a tank slapper going instead. You are now going sideways on the grass at 40 mph.

Your exposed wheels lip is now your problem rather than making your car a wonder to look at it will insist on eating the dirt. Your tyre bursts as soon as the bead seal gets broken and that makes this 10x worse instantly as your wheel is now an anchor in the ground and momentum means the roll is inevitable, keep your arms inside the car please otherwise they get very badly mangled! At this speed you roll it several times and it is written off, your passengers wont be too thankful either and could be badly injured.

You may rightly have detected some patronising sarcasm in there.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=507819&i=0 

From that thread:

What the tyre manufacturers say:

Dunlop 
"RIM WIDTH 
Correct rim width ensures flex at the designed flex point in a tire sidewall for optimum tire performance.
If the rim is too wide, the flex point moves towards the rim area, causing heat buildup in the lower sidewall, which reduces tire life and could result in failure. Either too narrow or too wide of a rim can result in uneven tread/pavement contact pressure causing uneven wear and potentially reduced traction, or increased vulnerability to bead dis-lodgement. "

Toyo 
"Serious personal injury or death can result from failure to select the proper tire and rim: Tire MUST match the width and diameter requirements of the rim. 

Yokohama
Each Yokohama tire has a specific rim width range on which the tire can be mounted. Failure to follow rim width recommendations may result in poor tire performance or possible wheel and/or tire failure.

What the law says:

1.Regarding wheel width, they must not protrude more than 30mm beyond the wheel arches. (Council Directive 78/549/EEC)

2.Regarding the fitting of the tyre "Each tyre fitted to the vehicle shall be of a nominal size appropriate to the wheel to which it is fitted." Sec16(4 The Motor Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2001'. The fact that the fit was outside manufacturers recommendations should be very persuasive to convince a court that the tyre was not fitted in a manner suitable to qualify it as 'approved'.

3.Section 40A RTA 1988 states "A person is guilty of an offence if he uses, or causes or permits another to use, a motor vehicle or trailer on a road when...the condition of the motor vehicle...or of its accessories or equipment...is such that the use of the motor vehicle or trailer involves a danger of injury to any person." Evidence to support this offence would include measurements of your wheel and tyre, and statements from the manufacturer or a tyre expert, indicating the potential risk of fitting outside their recommended parameters, namely, overheating, grip loss, unpredictable performance and behaviour etc etc.

4.If your vehicle was involved in a collision, especially one involving injury, where the cause led to the loss of control of your vehicle, dangerous driving may be considered, especially strengthened by Sec 2A(2) where "A person is also to be regarded as driving dangerously for the purposes of section 1 and 2 above if it would be obvious to a competent and careful driver that driving the vehicle in its current state would be dangerous." 

Edited by Sausage
added somink

15 hours ago, Camrizzle said:

How are stretchy tyres dangerous? Can someone please answer me aha. I run 165/50/15 on a slammed lupo. It helps because it doesn't catch on the arches on full lock.

Of course they're dangerous. Phone ANY tyre manufacturer and ask them whether they think their tyres are suitable for stretching and they'll tell you no, assuming they don't hang up the phone.

Stretched tyres are dangerous for numerous reasons. As described above, a loss of pressure can cause the tyre to completely fall off the rim.

skyrine7.jpg

y3e4aba9.jpg

I have had a stretch tyre do the above a falcon, although when i ran the same stretch on a toyo i had no problems

I now run a stretch but its slight, nothing like i used too (195/45/14) on a 9 thats just too much and stupid. I was young.

Cant believe in the first pic above they have let the tyre get that flipping bald! The car must have driven like it was on ice

To be fair that 1st pic is what running excessive neg camber and stretch leads to. He's been running the inner side wall on the ground for quite some time and it didnt like it one little bit.

It is plainly a dumb thing to do on the road.

Sooo, absolutely nothing to do with tyre stretch then? Side walls just cant take running any neg camber at all? All those failures are purely down to running negative camber and would have happened exactly the same had they not been running stretched side walls?