Lupo gti at 17?

MFletch1999

I like this thread.

I was a typical 17 year old, trying to go fast in my old car, but it was a 1974 Vauxhall Viva 1300 and it couldn't go fast. Still caught me out a couple of times though.

Now, 32 years later I am still a typical 17 year old at times with 150BHP under my right foot, but I am considerably more experienced than before and that makes a huge difference.

When you pass your test you are not a good driver. You have learnt the basics to be safe on the road. Then you will learn how to drive in the years that follow.

Do as advised, start small, build up your experience and skill levels and then get yourself something more fun.

On 27 February 2016 at 7:27 PM, MFletch1999 said:

Just becuase a car is QUICK doesn't mean it has to be driven quickly.

My old mans 62, he has 45 years no claims touch wood, he's always had quick cars, lotus, Astra gtes, the like, he now has an s3, he his previous s3 was 265bhp, this one is 300. The first few times he went out in the wet if he wasn't careful pulling out it would spin up all 4 wheels. Need i say more

Edited by mattarosa

My first car was my GTI. I suppose the difference here is that I was 29 when I passed my test, so my young person spirit had long since been crushed and I don't have people shouting down my ear telling me to go faster or young girls to impress, Also the insurance was only £1400 so I figured why not! I've been driving for about 9 months now and *touch wood* I haven't had any genuine near misses. Just the odd idiot attempting to pull out on me. 
Honestly though, if I had learnt to drive at 17 there is no way I would have even considered a GTI. not for a year or two at least anyway!

Listen to everyone else, you remind me of me when i was 17, i got a1.0 lupo in the end and i still thrashed that even though i swore i wouldn't due to a very close family member dieing yet i still did ( and do in a way) i went onto a sport a year later after getting use to the road and other drivers, had an mx5 after was an absolute idiot in that with the usual mx5 stuff, then i went to get a audi s1 (230bhp) within 9 hours of owning it saying the exact same stuff as your saying i wrote it off very badly and still suffer to this day, luckily no one else was hurt majorly just a few broken bones etc and that was in one of the safest cars, if i was in my gti at the time id 100% be dead, ive now got an a5 and my gti and even when i jump in the gti which is once a week i still have that massive urge to boot it, i literally turned 21 last week, as said above you think we are patronising and if your like me you're gonna go against everyones advise and just get it anyway, all im gonna say is listen to others who have been there.

39 minutes ago, Jake ellis said:

Listen to everyone else, you remind me of me when i was 17, i got a1.0 lupo in the end and i still thrashed that even though i swore i wouldn't due to a very close family member dieing yet i still did ( and do in a way) i went onto a sport a year later after getting use to the road and other drivers, had an mx5 after was an absolute idiot in that with the usual mx5 stuff, then i went to get a audi s1 (230bhp) within 9 hours of owning it saying the exact same stuff as your saying i wrote it off very badly and still suffer to this day, luckily no one else was hurt majorly just a few broken bones etc and that was in one of the safest cars, if i was in my gti at the time id 100% be dead, ive now got an a5 and my gti and even when i jump in the gti which is once a week i still have that massive urge to boot it, i literally turned 21 last week, as said above you think we are patronising and if your like me you're gonna go against everyones advise and just get it anyway, all im gonna say is listen to others who have been there.

Yup. It happens, you're not the first and you won't be the last. I hope you're okay and recovering. Recovering from an accident can take years. I still have back problems from a serious accident I had nearly 10 years ago now and after a small incident in 2013, I suffered for many months with a recurrence of that injury.

The story of my fathers friend in the Toyota Celica/Supra, it is absolutely 100% true. These aren't scare tactics, they're genuine true stories. It sounds like we're just making up stuff to scare and worry, but we're not; many of us have been affected by car related injury/death whether it be friends, family, or ourselves.

The OP has quite evidently made up his mind that he wants the GTI though and all that I can only hope he takes some advanced lessons. I know deep down that he won't, because if he's confident enough to ignore everyone's advice and drive a GTI regardless, then he'll be confident enough to say "**** advanced lessons, I'm already a good driver"

Unfortunately, those of us who are a few years older know the "I'm a good driver, I'm more mature than my friends" is utter nonsense. It reminds me of the people I went to school with who suffered serious injuries or even death from accidents, especially in higher powered vehicles. Can only hope that he isn't involved in any serious accidents.

5 hours ago, Skezza said:

The OP has quite evidently made up his mind that he wants the GTI though and all that I can only hope he takes some advanced lessons. I know deep down that he won't, because if he's confident enough to ignore everyone's advice and drive a GTI regardless, then he'll be confident enough to say "**** advanced lessons, I'm already a good driver"

Unfortunately, those of us who are a few years older know the "I'm a good driver, I'm more mature than my friends" is utter nonsense. It reminds me of the people I went to school with who suffered serious injuries or even death from accidents, especially in higher powered vehicles. Can only hope that he isn't involved in any serious accidents.

You might as well save your breath, it's obvious he's not listening any more.

I don't mean to be rude but buying a GTI to drive slow is like going to a brothel for a chat, all a bit pointless. 

Im 25 now, father, and I still can't keep my foot off the go pedal when the times are right, and I don't believe any 17 year old lad especially a bit of a petrol head wouldn't be tempted to nail a GTI at every given opportunity (and rightly so it's a GTI it's what they are meant to do). 

Now I'm with the majority on this, mainly because I was the naive 18 year old who smashed my first car through a lamp post, smashed my jaw and leg up and lucky to be alive.

Now I wasn't driving like a bell end at the time, but would this have happend in a less powerful car with a little more experience, probably not. 

My advice would be get the cheapest POS you can buy and insure to build up your no claims, save the money to go towards your GTI, mods and insurance (also look in to declaring mods, modified car insurance through a broker Is cheaper for me than the likes of go compare ect)  

And I wouldn't even entertain a black box, how are you meant to entertain all the bitches with handbrake turns with a black box.

The strange thing is when I was younger all I wanted is a faster car, now I'm a bit older and have owned some quicker cars it's the slow ones you can drive right on the limit most of the time I miss the most, anyway it's about time you told us all to **** off and bought a loop Gti. 

I'm old. I like to spin my GTI up on the way to the bingo and tea dances to impress the grannies.

Difference is I have 36 years of being and idiot under my belt so know when to play; and when to back off.

I had just as much fun in my 1.0 Arosa, pushing it to it's limits, but those limits were a lot easier to back off from.

1 hour ago, Mobieus_uk said:

young driver, low on cash, 1.7sdi is what you need, 60mpg and a safe car that you can still play with

one of the best first car in the world I reckon. Ultra reliable and real easy to work on. Learn how to do oil filter changes and fuel filter changes etc. Plus all the reliability of those SDI engines. Mines up to 161k. 

Approx:

Mk1 xr2 = 102 bhp per tonne

mk2 xr2 = 114 bhp per tonne

Lupo GTI = 128bhp per tonne

Cavalier SRI 130 mk2 = 122 bhp per tonne

Cavalier SRI 130 mk3 = 113 bhp per tonne

My Mondeo estate 155bhp = 100 bhp per tonne

My mapped 105 bhp lupo tdi = 100 bhp per tonne

I wouldnt trust a learner in my lupo, the torque and power delivery is quite sudden and it is noticeably faster than the mondeo even though they should be similar on paper and puts a smile on my face as it is.

Edited by Sausage