Battery light constantly illuminated.

So I've done quite a bit of driving today, and I just noticed my battery light is illuminated, even when the car is running. 

I've looked around and found that with the polos, it means there's a battery malfunction and that it's got about 500 miles before it stops working.

Anyone ever had this problem, and if so, how is it fixed ? 

Thanks in advance. 

Myles. 

Edited by myles983

It means the battery isnt being charged usually. Do you drive around with lots of tat in the dash clocks so you didnt notice it earlier?

Check the alternator / auxiliary belt 1st as that is what drives the alternator. If it's frayed loose and flapping take it off otherwise it could cause other damage. Not sure what else that belt drives on lupo but it could be power steering among other things.

If the belt is ok then stick a multimeter across the battery with the engine running it should be over 14v (but not too high either!). if it isnt higher than the battery of about 12v then it isnt charging and that could mean a new alternator or maybe just a regulator for it. But before lashing out money on new stuff check the obvious like poor connections and wiring to and from the alternator / battery.

Your car will keep going until the battery runs low and cant spark the engine any more, if its dark and you have the lights on and the radio blaring this will make you grind to a halt much quicker, so if you have to go somewhere (like home) switch off as much stuff as possible to conserve battery.

Edited by Sausage
duff keyboard

So, ive just taken what you've said, scanned all the alternator quickly (its getting dark so even by phone torch i couldn't see much.) but couldn't see anything out of place.

I haven't got a multimeter (good reason for getting one) but i checked the battery terminals and realised this:

IMAG0273_zpsmi4i6a1w.jpg

The floating fusebox is no longer a floating fusebox.

I inspected the end to it, saw where it had snapped away from, then had my stepmum start the car when it was making contact. The light disappeared, and the car started. 

I've managed to find a new fuse box, and ive temporarily secured the old one down so that it is still in contact but can be removed when i need to fit the new one. Im going to leave the car to sit for a little bit, then try driving to my girfriends (her dad is very handy with stuff like this, and can also give me a lift home if i need it) and see what happens. 

Thanks for your help Sausage :)

Myles. 

Edited by myles983