Running 14x8.5 on the rear could anyone tell me if this amount of poke is illegal?

Shae gibbons

^^ What he said. ^^

There's also a tightening of the noose on tyre stretch and at 3 points a tyre plus fines i'd be just as concerned with getting that right too.

Are you thinking of pc plod or MOT or insurance being null and void after a claim?

I've got some 8 inch banded steels coming, no idea if i can use them though :lol:

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sausage said:

^^ What he said. ^^

There's also a tightening of the noose on tyre stretch and at 3 points a tyre plus fines i'd be just as concerned with getting that right too.

Are you thinking of pc plod or MOT or insurance being null and void after a claim?

I've got some 8 inch banded steels coming, no idea if i can use them though :lol:

Some are tightening down on tyre stretch, but only if you really stand out and they deem it unsafe as there is no real concrete law on the matter. 

195/50/15 on a 8J rim would give some stretch, but not enough to really stand out or get done for imo. Running 165/45/15 on a 8J rim might get you in some bother though...

• Like 1

Ok just gone off looking this up as i have wheel and tyre choices coming up myself. I dont know if this is 100% accurate or current but the most concise answer seems to be this one from 2008 (go to page 4):

https://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index.php?/topic/24937-stretched-tyres-are-they-legal-or-not/page-4

That seems to suggest 30mm wheel poke is ok? Tyre stretch is not (they look up manufacturer approved lists for wheel tyre size combos and yours is outside the specs they can deem it dangerous. 

The closer you are to the specs the better your chance of avoiding prosecution I would think.

Edited by Sausage
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, T3LLIOTT said:

If the alloy protrudes from the body, it's illegal.

Looking at yours, I'd say it was illegal.

Could you not camber them slightly and then it will be fine? Someone I knew ran with the alloy poking further than that and was pulled but the police said they're not bothered how far the alloy pokes its the stretch and the new mot test thing about stretch says it's fine as long as the bead touches the end of the alloy 

Many on the internet including the cops in the link above are interpreting this piece of legislation to mean the wheels can stick out 30mm:

Council Directive 78/549/EEC of 12 June 1978 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to the wheel guards of motor vehicles 

2.1.2. The rear of the wheel guards must not terminate above a horizontal plane 150 mm above the axis of rotation of the wheels (as measured at the wheel centres) and furthermore the intersection of the edge of the wheel guard with this plane (point A, figure 1) must lie outside the median longitudinal plane of the tyre, or in the case of twin wheels the median longitudinal plane of the outermost tyre. 

2.1.3. The contour and location of the wheel guards shall be such that they are as close to the tyre as possible ; and in particular within the part formed by the radial planes referred to in 2.1.1, they shall satisfy the following requirements: 2.1.3.1. the projection - situated in the vertical plane of the tyre axis - of the depth (p) of the outer edge of the wheel guards, measured in the vertical longitudinal plane passing through the centre of the tyre, must be at least 30 mm. This depth (p) may be reduced progressively to zero at the radial planes specified in 2.1.1; 

It says nothing of the sort, it is talking about the mudguards.

Your wheel poke is totally legal as long as your tyre tred is inside of the wheel arch and you only have sensible tyre stretch 

I had a mk2f polo for two years with banned steelies poking out the wheel arch and stretch tyres. Was only stopped 3 times about them and every time I explained the law to them they just took pictures and said they would show them to VOSA and if they was illegal they would be in touch. They never got back in touch with me 

one thing I will say about stretch tyres is never take the piss with them like people in America ect do as one we don't have flat smooth roads like them and two they hardly have any corners. This is why they are not safe here in the u.k been over stretched because of the state of are roads and the speeds people go round corners and rounder bouts is what causes them to pop off the wheels