Broken Gearbox?

Me_julie

Hey, I've got a 1.7 sdi  Diesel lupo 2000 plate. Recently the reverse gear just refuses to work, all the other gears are perfectly fine, I can pop the reverse into gear and it'll shift back a few inches then either jump out or make a horrible crunching noise, I've taken it to a mechanic and by force he can reverse it back normally but the car sounds terrible because you can hear it wanting to push the reverse gear out. My mechanic as quoted me £1500 for a new gearbox! Or I have to find a second hand one, all in all inc labour I'm looking at around £800 and there's no  guarantee the gearbox will work as its second hand...

i went to a local mechanic and told them my problem and they said it sounds like a broken reverse linkage? Never heard of something like that but inc labour it's £150..if that's the case. I'm going to book my car in but I'm worried they'll cause more issues then I have, love my lupo but it's a 2000 plate and I don't really want to spend almost 2k on a gearbox.

does it sound broken? Or a link breakage? Am I being ripped off? Sorry for such the long post but it's becoming impossible to drive the car without reversing, I have to roll out of my drive -__-. 

Any advice would be great!

thanks! 

On 17 February 2016 at 11:38 AM, Skezza said:

It sounds like the linkage rather than the box to me. Also stop your mechanic from forcing it please, that will not do it any good.

Really hope that's the case, I've taken it to three mechanics and they've all said different things, one had it for half an hour and said the gears teeth were completely worn away and quoted me £1700 for a new gearbox! Think he was trying to con me though as he didn't even look st the gearbox lol 

13 minutes ago, Me_julie said:

Really hope that's the case, I've taken it to three mechanics and they've all said different things, one had it for half an hour and said the gears teeth were completely worn away and quoted me £1700 for a new gearbox! Think he was trying to con me though as he didn't even look st the gearbox lol 

He's talking ****. Get the linkage replaced.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry to hijack the thread ive had a problem with my gearbox earlier this week my first gear went and i cant get it into first gear now but all my other gears work fine any ideas on what it might be?