Big shock. Is my immaculate Lupo really dead?

That's a very low reading and it's strange that it was driving ok before this and then suddenly went wrong.  The compression is definitely ok on all other cylinders? 

I'm wondering if the belt has jumped a tooth?

Edited by wehey

27 minutes ago, wehey said:

That's a very low reading and it's strange that it was driving ok before this and then suddenly went wrong.  The compression is definitely ok on all other cylinders? 

I'm wondering if the belt has jumped a tooth?

I the other two cylinders have zero compression at all.

I reckon it's more likely to be a timing issue than anything. I'd get that checked and as carrera says a leak test should be conclusive enough evidence to say whether it's an internal issue or not.

Laura what were the other two cylinders like?

If they are all similar then yes i agree it is timing and your mechanic is feeling embarrassed and covering his ass because the cambelt slipped.

if the other two are not similar but up around 200 then it isnt timing that is the problem.

You'd really struggle to start it if they are all that low btw....

Edited by Sausage
fat fingers

2 hours ago, Sausage said:

Laura what were the other two cylinders like?

If they are all similar then yes i agree it is timing and your mechanic is feeling embarrassed and covering his ass because the cambelt slipped.

if the other two are not similar but up around 200 then it isnt timing that is the problem.

You'd really struggle to start it if they are all that low btw....

I thought that too. If you've got zero compression on 2 cylinders, and 60 on the other 2, would the car even start? That compression is incredibly low. If it did start, I would be very surprised if you could get it to pull off.

Nope, apparently the other cylinders were fine, though I'm not sure of actual readings. 

Unfortunately I really need a car for work, this week has been awful and I'm so tired due to the crazy bus times I've had to get.  I have therefore made the painful decision that it's time for the Lupo to go.  She is up for sale and I have just paid a deposit on a lovely pre-reg Move Up!  A day of mixed emotions.  Obviously I have disclosed the problem, whilst emphasising all the good points, so hopefully someone fancies a project and can make her great again.

Thanks for all your help and advice everyone x

That's a real shame Laura. If it does turn out to be a slipped belt then your mechanic has let you down. I'd have been tempted by an old KA for a few hundred pounds, just as a stop gap before fully committing. Still, good luck with your new car. 

Where's your loop listed?

33 minutes ago, Rich said:

No, what's that ?

Doesn't matter. Was going to say there's a line from that show to describe the vehicle you linked.

I shall probably pop back every now and then yes, although it might make me miss having a Lupo!!  My husband does still have his though, which makes it all a bit easier (or harder, actually? I'm not sure yet!) :lol:

Picked my Up up(!) on Saturday and have to say I am totally in love with it :wub:

I have a couple of viewings on the Lupo arranged for this week, so fingers crossed.  It's on Gumtree Skezza, but it sounds like Rich could've told you that! Haha!

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/vw-lupo-10-black/1155842931