Stolen - Lupo 3L- X100MPG - FOUND

Derv

It might be worth talking to the Citizen's Advice Bureau who can be quite knowledgeable about awkward problems with local authorities.  And as suggested above; if you're reported it missing to the Police, tell them you've found it and where.  It might only be council procedure that's not been followed, but that affects any right in law they may have to remove your property.

As I said, turn up with some heavies. Plug your ECU in, drive away. See how the council explain to the police that you stole your own car.

On 12/03/2016 at 9:53 PM, carrera-gt said:

Police won't be interested it's a civil matter, worth talking to the Balifs, you can instruct them to recover your property from the council for a fee, then you can sue the council to recover the costs.

The yard won't argue with the balifs if they turn up to recover the car.

Also you can hit them with fredom of information request for all email and corespondance regarding the matter that should show what they did or did not do.

I used the council's FOI address to help to find the car. I got back to the police with my crime number, but the local bobbie had neatly tidied up all the paperwork, including describing the car as "a total wreck", trying to back up the council's justifications for towing it away and "crushing" it. So as said, the police weren't interested, as it's a civil matter, and blackmail/extortion is not a crime. 

So far it's cost me £630 in ransom money, and a roller-coaster ride of emotions, but the car is home. 

DSC_0014_zpspc5aq6sb.jpg

11 hours ago, Derv said:

I used the council's FOI address to help to find the car. I got back to the police with my crime number, but the local bobbie had neatly tidied up all the paperwork, including describing the car as "a total wreck", trying to back up the council's justifications for towing it away and "crushing" it. So as said, the police weren't interested, as it's a civil matter, and blackmail/extortion is not a crime. 

So far it's cost me £630 in ransom money, and a roller-coaster ride of emotions, but the car is home. 

DSC_0014_zpspc5aq6sb.jpg

Great to hear you've got it home. I wouldn't be finished yet mate. I would be looking to get that £630 back. It might be worth taking it to a small claims court. Disappointed but not overly surprised by the polices lack of interest. I still think the appropriate way to have dealt with this would be to have turned up with 5 or 6 largish mates and ask them nicely. I'm sure the garage would have been more than willing to release it. They could have taken any financial issues up with the council.