1st gear pull off?

Marra

Hi, only just joined the forum as i have just purchased my first vee dub, 1.0 lupo, which is great, starts first time and drive great but first gear pulling away is very slow and sluggish, 2nd gear is slightly better and 3rd 4th 5th are perfect, had her upto 90 ( private road ;-)) and no warning lights so can't understand why 1st is so sluggish, anyone have any ideas?

So what's happening ?

You run out of revs and your not going very quickly ? or something else ?

Idealy you need to check the gearing chart for the lupo, it should tell you what speed to expect in what gear at what revs

Then you can test it and see what you get

If you can get a 1l up to 90 indicated there can't be much wrong with it

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply,  quite had to explain, when you pull off in first you really have to rev it hard and dip the clutch in and out to get it to move, feels like its bogging down 10mph max! Quite scary  pulling out at a junction, 2nd is slightly better and rest of the gears normal and quite quick for a 1.0, brakes are all free so no binding and its realy only 1st pulling away, just wondered if 1st was fubar even though there are no nasty noises or grinding! 

Check the code on the gearbox to be sure it matches the engine. sounds like 1st gear might be a bit tall for the 1.0 engine, clutch sounds like a good possibilty as had been noted above. Check the adjustment on the cable and also check the pedal box in case the clutch isn't releasing properly.

Thanks for the replys guys, first gear is non selectable!! When you think your selecting 1st its going into 3rd!! No its not me as ive had 3 people try this week and it does the same with them, there is nothing between reverse and 3rd, you cant move the gearstick forward at all? Like hitting a brick wall, so at the moment im pulling away in 2nd! Any idea why 1st is not selectabe, cant see it falling out the box lol ;-)

Thanks mate I'll  check that first, just got the reversing lights working! Broken wire on the switch to the gearbox!! Quite a bit not working  right with this lupo in the 6 weeks since the previous owner had it mot'd.....