Lupo GTI light, dead and vague steering

THE_NORTON

Hi... hey... boo what ever intro floats ur boat

Recently took my gti for alignment on a hunter system after fitting coilovers because I was experienceing light, twitchy steering and it would wonder at motorway speeds and not self center. Long story short the alignment has been done now running -1.4 degrees camber and +2.4 degrees caster with 0 toe but I'm still experiencing the same problem almost like the cars floating, could it been the power steering? 

Any help is appreciated 

Edited by THE_NORTON

If your pas was playing up you'd more than likely be experiencing heavy steering, are you sure everything has been fitted back correctly and tightened properly? Seems odd that you've only experienced these issues since replacing the struts. What exactly did you replace, just the struts or the whole lot, mounts and all?

4 hours ago, Pete said:

If your pas was playing up you'd more than likely be experiencing heavy steering, are you sure everything has been fitted back correctly and tightened properly? Seems odd that you've only experienced these issues since replacing the struts. What exactly did you replace, just the struts or the whole lot, mounts and all?

Yeah I thought the same think with the pas, originally it was fine with coilovers it's since driving/sliding on ice and snow it's been playing up

Depending on how much a hooligan you were in the snow and ice then defo have a careful look at your tyres.

Unless the snow / ice is deep enough to prevent your tyres hitting tarmac, they get scrubbed pretty easy.

It's also pretty easy to slide the car into a bank or kerb and put the tracking / alignment out .... :P

Edited by Sausage
oooh let me think...

31 minutes ago, Sausage said:

Depending on how much a hooligan you were in the snow and ice then defo have a careful look at your tyres.

Unless the snow / ice is deep enough to prevent your tyres hitting tarmac, they get scrubbed pretty easy.

It's also pretty easy to slide the car into a bank or kerb and put the tracking / alignment out .... :P

True and I swapped the front tireseats to the back to see if they were worn differently but that dint change anything, and I didn't hit anything ?

if this is since fitting coilovers and the alignment / tracking / tyres are all right then that leaves bushes, mounts, shocks and springs.

The snow was a red herring i take it.

What make are the coilovers and were they new or used? Bounce test the shocks and make sure the ride height is equal left /right.

Edited by Sausage
splellllinnng

1 hour ago, Sausage said:

if this is since fitting coilovers and the alignment / tracking / tyres are all right then that leaves bushes, mounts, shocks and springs.

The snow was a red herring i take it.

What make are the coilovers and were they new or used? Bounce test the shocks and make sure the ride height is equal left /right.

Cheers for the help man really appreciate it, the snow probably was, they were new jom coilovers the top mounts bushings could of gone? 

You're running a lot of negative camber, that could be your problem, try taking half the camber off and see what that does.

The self centering effect comes from the fact that the centre of pressure on the contact patch is pushed forward of the tyre by the castor angle, because you have so much camber all the pressure is on inside shoulder of the tyre limiting the self centering effect.

1 hour ago, carrera-gt said:

You're running a lot of negative camber, that could be your problem, try taking half the camber off and see what that does.

The self centering effect comes from the fact that the centre of pressure on the contact patch is pushed forward of the tyre by the castor angle, because you have so much camber all the pressure is on inside shoulder of the tyre limiting the self centering effect.

Thanks for the reply, I thought the factory camber was -1, -1.4 isn't really that much camber tbh